Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed beryl on my installation of openSUSE 10.2. I have previously being using xgl/compiz, i've tried dozens of times to get it working with no luck, but the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Beryl

I've installed beryl on my installation of openSUSE 10.2. I have previously being using xgl/compiz, i've tried dozens of times to get it working with no luck, but the other day i spotted the install beryl button in the xgl-settings program, so i used that to install beryl and now i get the red diamond in the corner. at first it worked fine, but after trying to set a skydome image now when i load it i get absolutely nothing, i've tried enabling beryl in the xgl-settings program with no luck and i can't find a way to enable it in the beryl-manager program. any ideas? it seems it is doing something as now my titlebars on windows are different, but they are using the kde window manager still, and if i choose beryl for it i lose my titlebars...

Linux Newbie

same problem

I had the same problem. I would get everything setup just the way I wanted it, load beryl and get it working, then all these bizzar problems would start showing up. seemed like everytime I shut my computer off and turned it back on, something different would happen. It made my system very unstable. I honestly think its a KDE problem. You might switch to Gnome like I did.. Although my Yast still has a bug. I have been playing with Ubuntu and it seems to be working alot better with beryl. As long as I keep beryl off opensuse its fine.. just my observation.. good luck
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Just Joined!
    well, disabled it all in the opensuse-xgl-settings, rebooted my machine, enabled it and then rebooted again and has been fine since, it was a pain in the backside to get working, i tried loads of different tutorials from all over the place, but found the best and easiest way to have it working fine straight away was to install it by running opensuse-xgl-settings, choosing the beryl tab, then either installing and enabling it there or adding the repositories in yast, i've found installing it from tar files to just not work, it would come up with all kinds of daft errors, which i had no way of fixing, it would half work, then not work, where as this method has worked perfectly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Installing anything from tar is doing it the hard way. That is why Yast was invented. Actually I find Smart to be as easy and much faster.

Just Joined!
    i've found it pretty difficult finding rpm files for a lot of the software i want to download - particularly openSUSE 10.2 specific ones...just tar after tar...
    is there a decent site with links to specific distro rpms, or any repositories with a lot of software on, and are there any other distros/earlier versions of suse that i'm likely to be able to use rpms for without too many issues rather than searching in vain for openSUSE ones which don't even exist?

What are you looking for??

see

http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
    and
    http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources/10.2
    Also

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=...ackage_Manager

I think the smart manager may be better then Yast software Manager. It is quicker.

Just Joined!
    nothing in particular at the moment, i just wondered, i had a nightmare with loads of stuff using python, namely superkaramba which would complain i didn't have python installed when i did, and then i found kdeutils3-extra and it works. at the moment im trying to install tux racer but ./compile is saying i don't have tcl when i do, though thats not really an essential program...

All those things can be found on the sites listed on the sites in my last posts.

And most programs will have an RPM somewhere, Suse is not the only Distro that uses that foramt.

Just Joined!
    i know that, but if i download rpms for different distros are they likely to work is what i mean