Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know of an application similar to norton ghost that will allow for a complete image of a HDD for backup purposes, after plenty of trial and error I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

HDD Imaging

Does anybody know of an application similar to norton ghost that will allow for a complete image of a HDD for backup purposes, after plenty of trial and error I now have a stable system that I am more than happy with and can't remember half the things I did to get here. I would like to be able to back it up to restore later should I eventually bugger everything up (as I probably will, can't stop fiddling you see).

PartImage is best for creating an Image. it creates bootable images. you can try Ghost for Linux too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux already has tools to create backups:
    1) dd can be used to create an image of a disk. Drawback: Restore only possible to disks with same specifications as the origin disk
    2) Use tar.

Another nice tool is mkcdrec which creates and restores CD images of your disk
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    You can use Mondo Rescue too. Yast>Software Management. Type "mondo" and Yast will install it for you and resolve all its dependencies. I has a nice manual too. Hope it helps.

Just Joined!

Cloning Solution

I have experience with Clonezilla/DRBL. Have a look at the how-to I wrote
    here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...our-linux.html

Greets