Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 3 of 3
hi, i need to ask a coule of fairly simple questions; 1, for some reason, suse 10.2 has started asking for root pword when i restrt or shutdown. how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    65

    Smile pword when reboot | slow suse | write 2 ntfs | 7button mouse | tvout


    hi,

    i need to ask a coule of fairly simple questions;
    1, for some reason, suse 10.2 has started asking for root pword when i restrt or shutdown. how do i stop this??
    2, for some reason suse has started running very slowly, and aps grey out quite often! any adv on optimising memory usage??
    3, how do i get write privelege to my xp partition from suse??
    4, giving a funtion to mouse buttons(7 button mouse) that arent recognised in sax2, but when pressed, seem to do something, but nothing that other buttons do?!
    5, nvidia graphics card and twinview are sh!t!! can i configure a tvout on a geforce 6200, with the drivers, but without using twin view???

    loads!!

    thanks

  2. #2
    Linux Guru gogalthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West (by God) Virginia
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    hi,

    i need to ask a coule of fairly simple questions;
    1, for some reason, suse 10.2 has started asking for root pword when i restrt or shutdown. how do i stop this??
    Personal settings Security -System Admin-Login Manager

    Assuming KDE
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    2, for some reason suse has started running very slowly, and aps grey out quite often! any adv on optimising memory usage??
    Run top in a Konsole and see what is eating CPU Shut down the process that is eating things up by kill PID where PID is the process ID from top. Note you must have either root privalage or be the owner of the process to kill it

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    3, how do i get write privelege to my xp partition from suse??
    You need ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs-fuse to have write access to a NTFS partition. The default Suse driver is read only for NTFS


    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    4, giving a funtion to mouse buttons(7 button mouse) that arent recognised in sax2, but when pressed, seem to do something, but nothing that other buttons do?!
    Have you selected the correct mouse in Yast? Other wise you need to set them up in the xorg.conf

    Who really needs 7 buttons on a mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    5, nvidia graphics card and twinview are sh!t!! can i configure a tvout on a geforce 6200, with the drivers, but without using twin view???
    loads!!

    thanks[/QUOTE]

    No idea. But chances are that you would need to do some editing in the xorg.conf file. But what the settings are I don't know.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    65
    thanks for all that help!

    the ntfs-3g go me a bit, i still havent got to grips with installing from tarbals, and source!

    i used yast in the end to download and install fuse aswell! and then it worked!!!

    unfortunatly, my mouse is installed properly, still cant use the other 2 buttons!!

    ill have to do a bit more digging for that and my tvout!

    thanks again!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •