Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am a total linux newbie & have just put a micro atx form pc together using an asrock mobo. i have optus dsl at home using direct ethernet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

asrock mobo & suse 10.2

hi i am a total linux newbie & have just put a micro atx form pc together using an asrock mobo. i have optus dsl at home using direct ethernet to windows xp laptop that is fine. i just cannot get a reliable connection to the net or sound or run xml. all of nic, graphics & sound are on the board. should i get separate cards for sound & graphics? should I give up on optus? i have spent the last 3 weeks researching & am about to go running back to windows but i just dont want to. I am so excited about linux i am already loving the gui. installed 10.2 gnome off a suse10.2 dvd. thanks anybody who might be out there & can help a newbie!!!

Linux Newbie
    What is happening with your network connection? When you are having problems, login to a console as root and type "ifconfig" and make sure your NIC still has an IP address.

Are you using a router? If not, does optus let you have multiple IP addresses?