Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have the following problem. I have 3 partitions on my pc. 2 of them are ntfs and the third in ext3 with suse 10.2 installed. On one of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How to delete booting info

Hello. I have the following problem. I have 3 partitions on my pc. 2 of them are ntfs and the third in ext3 with suse 10.2 installed. On one of ntfs partitions I have Winxp installed, while on the other one there is no system at all, but it contains some boot info from once installed Win 2000. So when I installed suse, I got 2 windows options in lilo, while only one of them is actually working. Now I want to delete that boot info from the ntfs partition that has no system installed, but dont know how. I know I can delete it from the boot list, but I would rather delete phisicaly delete it from partition.Can someone tell me how to do that.

if you have remove win 2000 from second partition then there is no info in that. check the contents of boot.ini file of Windows Xp and contents of lilo.conf.
    boot up windows, cd to C:\ at command prompt and execute 'notepad boot.ini'.
    post its contents here.
    post the contents of /etc/lilo.conf too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Thanx for quick reply Devils_casper. The problem is, that I havent removed win 2000 correctly, I just deleted the content of it on the partitition. So my win 2000 still resides in boot.ini of winxp. It's true, I can delete it from boot.ini, but I would like to remeve the source of this problem. Thanx for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    remove Windows code from boot.ini file and reformat second partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Hmm, ok looks like I have no other choice but formating partition.Thanx again.