Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can one install Amarok with a Gnome desktop and K3b functioning? Suse 10.2 Thanks a lot for your help....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Amarok

Can one install Amarok with a Gnome desktop and K3b functioning? Suse 10.2
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, you can. KDE and Gnome apps both work on each other - As well as XFCE...

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by netstrider View Post
    Yes, you can. KDE and Gnome apps both work on each other - As well as XFCE...
    Thanks a lot for your prompt reply netstrider. One more question; when I check installation of Amarok with Yast, there is a conflict: "there are no installable providers of libgpod.so.1 for amarok". Can I overlook this, or is it fundamental to the program?. Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you tried though smart? I just upgraded Amorak and and there were no problems but there are a lot of repositories in smart. So maybe you need to either add the repositories from smart to Yast or jsut use smart.

BTW there seems to be some major changes to amarok in 1.4.5 They have dropped the xmms visualizations and you need to get libvisual-plugins and amarok-libvisual.

Linux Newbie
    I just installed it with smart. No problems, until I tried to play it. I shows error on startup. With the terminal I found out this:

kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype Amarok/Plugin not found
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Reusing existing ksycoca
    kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file /opt/gnome/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop has Type=Link instead of "Application" or "Service"
    kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : /opt/gnome/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop
    kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file /opt/gnome/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop has Type=Link instead of "Application" or "Service"
    kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : /opt/gnome/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop
    KNotify:layTimeout
    kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
    Amarok: [Loader] Amarok is taking a long time to load! Perhaps something has gone wrong?
    kbuildsycoca running...
    linux-wwtz:~ # ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 20012, errno = 0

I'm running Suse 10.2 with gnome, but I have KDE also installed.
    I already tried changing the file /DefaultPlugins in Type=Link to "Application" and later to "Service". Neither one worked.
    Can you help me with this? I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I recently had a problem with k3b not being able to "talk" to klauncher, which is probably related to the same and that I haven't solved yet.

Linux Newbie
    I found out that I can run Amarok from root, so is all a matter of permissions. Granting permission to <username> doesn't work. I have to find out what specific files I have to grant permission to. Help appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Well guys, problem solved. I had to grant permission to the file /.ICEauthority and I did. Both Amarok and k3b work fine now. Thank you anyway for your help.

Glad you got it sorted, but more happy you came back with the solution

Linux Newbie
    Hi bigtomrodney!. That's what forums are for. Not?