Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Suse 9.1 personal and windows xp pro on a dual boot, works fine apart from when i select windows i get the following error: Code: root (hd1,0) Filesystem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A few problems with SUSE 9.1

I installed Suse 9.1 personal and windows xp pro on a dual boot, works fine apart from when i select windows i get the following error:
    Code:
    root (hd1,0)
        Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7)
    chainloader +1
    Also another problem i have is that my internet just wont work. I have a cable modem (made by Ambit) and my ISP is ntl, as far as i know there is no linux driver for the modem. I have tried USB and ethernet connection for the modem and it still doesn't work. How can i fix this?

also how can i stop hde and hdg being checked upon start up because it really slows down my start up and i just get this anyway?:
    Code:
    hde: no response (status = 0xfe)
    hdg: no response (status = 0xfe)
    hde: no response (status = 0xfe), resetting drive
    hde: no response (status = 0xfe)
    hdg: no response (status = 0xfe), resetting drive
    hdg: no response (status = 0xfe)
    thanks

Just Joined!
    install windows first, or second? i would play it safe and boot from floppy to linux. using partition magic to resize the windows partition to make space for linux, making sure windows works fine after this step, prior to linux install, leaving MBR alone.

Just Joined!
    also, don't wanna come across as a spammer, but i found this help page for the modem problem;http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/ . as for the extra drives; they would work best if sliced, parted, labeled and useable. otherwise, turn off their bus positions in the bios of their controller. (their letters make me suspect more than common ide bus max no. of drives), no "s" (scsi) in their name, so i'll assume a pci IDE ATA or SATA controller card. this card has a prompt to enter setup near end of post, like " <crtl>+<a> to enter", then, they shouldn't report.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunix
    install windows first, or second? i would play it safe and boot from floppy to linux. using partition magic to resize the windows partition to make space for linux, making sure windows works fine after this step, prior to linux install, leaving MBR alone.
    i use two hard drives, windows on hdb1 and linux on hda1

Just Joined!
    Apparently, during configuration of your linux boot loader, it thought your first hard drive would be a good place to go. makes it easy to select O.S. but your problem isn't unique. I repaired my malformed boot.ini by inserting windows installation cd, running up to the first opportunity to select recovery console, which I didn't know how to use, I typed "help" and got a list of commands, some dealing with re-writing MBR... I took a chance and tried them. It worked out fine. as for how this got like this, and how to prevent it again in the future? play it safe, trial and error, don't trust that *nix and windows MBR's will agree with one another. most of the time, all works fine if you install windows first. good luck.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunix
    Apparently, during configuration of your linux boot loader, it thought your first hard drive would be a good place to go. makes it easy to select O.S. but your problem isn't unique. I repaired my malformed boot.ini by inserting windows installation cd, running up to the first opportunity to select recovery console, which I didn't know how to use, I typed "help" and got a list of commands, some dealing with re-writing MBR... I took a chance and tried them. It worked out fine. as for how this got like this, and how to prevent it again in the future? play it safe, trial and error, don't trust that *nix and windows MBR's will agree with one another. most of the time, all works fine if you install windows first. good luck.
    i'm not using the windows bootloader, and i never will

Just Joined!
    here is the solution about the dual boot good luck:
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html

is amazing about a person that don't know nothing of Linux

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_sg

ah thx mate, my hdd with windows on it is much larger than 8gb.. its 60gb

Edit: the first solution didn't work, i'll try to second one later

e2k
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_sg

I followed the steps, created a floppy and started the installation from it..
    Everything worked fine until I got to the menu where it said Choose medium from which to install.. I chose floppy (fd0), then it read the floppy, but said there's no updates to install? I did this twice, and the floppy I created was succesful (I even checked it out with my sisters computer, and there were files on it) So what did I do wrong?

Just Joined!
    No, I think that you made the correct steps, so I had this message but I continue and run perfect the boot, so intent one more time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast