Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My hardware Pentium 4 1.9 ghz, HD 120 Western digital, motherboard ECS elitegroup P4ITA I have a Windows XP installed and I try to install Suse Linux 9.1 pro, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse Linux 9.1 Pro install

My hardware Pentium 4 1.9 ghz, HD 120 Western digital, motherboard ECS elitegroup P4ITA

I have a Windows XP installed and I try to install Suse Linux 9.1 pro, but Yast doesn't recognize the installation (partition) of Windows Xp, I have a Hard Drive Western Digital 120 Gb and I must be install the Dinamic Drive Overlay 9.85 for that my bios recognize the total space of 120 gb. Could you help me with this? I try to migrate to Linux slowly

Linux Newbie

Re: Suse Linux 9.1 Pro install

Quote Originally Posted by sergio_sg
    My hardware Pentium 4 1.9 ghz, HD 120 Western digital, motherboard ECS elitegroup P4ITA

I have a Windows XP installed and I try to install Suse Linux 9.1 pro, but Yast doesn't recognize the installation (partition) of Windows Xp, I have a Hard Drive Western Digital 120 Gb and I must be install the Dinamic Drive Overlay 9.85 for that my bios recognize the total space of 120 gb. Could you help me with this? I try to migrate to Linux slowly
    Is the windows partition NTFS?

Just Joined!
    yes is NTFS and I also try to install with Windows Fat 32

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    yes is NTFS and I also try to install with Windows Fat 32
    does YAST give any error messages?

Just Joined!
    No Yast run very well, only no recognize the partition of windows xp, Yast show the hard drive of 120 gb free and Yast make 2 partitions for Suse installation and swap and when is installing I believe that erase the programs the Dinamic Drive overlay and don't continue with installation. I believe that the problem is the Dinamic Drive Overlay because I install the same(Windows XP and Suse) on a Hard Drive 40 Gb and run perfectly. Do you have install the windows xp an suse on harda drive 120 gb or more?

Just Joined!

Re: Suse Linux 9.1 Pro install

Could you help me with this? I try to migrate to Linux slowly
    Ever considered Knoppix? Runs completely from your cdrom off of a cd. Pretty neat stuff

Linux Newbie
    No Yast run very well, only no recognize the partition of windows xp, Yast show the hard drive of 120 gb free and Yast make 2 partitions for Suse installation and swap and when is installing I believe that erase the programs the Dinamic Drive overlay and don't continue with installation. I believe that the problem is the Dinamic Drive Overlay because I install the same(Windows XP and Suse) on a Hard Drive 40 Gb and run perfectly. Do you have install the windows xp an suse on harda drive 120 gb or more?
    do you get an error message that looks something like this when trying to load windows?
    Code:
    root (hd1,0)
        Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    chainloader +1
    That is what i am getting when trying to load windows with my boot loader, is this what you mean?

Just Joined!
    yesterday I finish the install Suse and Windows XP on hard drive WD 40 Gb and when I try to run windows instead Suse this error show me, How I solve that problem?

and I have the other problem with the hard drive WD 120 Gb and Dinamic Drive overlay

but help me with the first problem, the error that you show me
    (root (hd1,0)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    chainloader +1)

please I am desperate (yesterday for first you see I proved linux and I found great but I even need some windows things)

Just Joined!
    Hello: I have 5 days trying to install Suse Linux 9.1 pro and Winwos XP, I cannot, I try to ask for help to Linux community and Suse support but cannot help me, I think that if I change to Linux slowly I received help of the Linux community but not, the help that they give us is after of installation but before nobody, this is hard still when I am System Engineer, Linux is not very difficult I have driven a little of Solaris but only that I still need Windows XP, this is my problem I need still something Windows XP, after of installation I know all the problems(hardware, software etc), but before I don't know. My last chance is change the hard drive Western Digital to Maxtor (40 Gb), I believe that this is the solution for my experience in hardware, but I don't know if I breakdown.
    Thanks for you help

Linux Newbie
    Hello: I have 5 days trying to install Suse Linux 9.1 pro and Winwos XP, I cannot, I try to ask for help to Linux community and Suse support but cannot help me, I think that if I change to Linux slowly I received help of the Linux community but not, the help that they give us is after of installation but before nobody, this is hard still when I am System Engineer, Linux is not very difficult I have driven a little of Solaris but only that I still need Windows XP, this is my problem I need still something Windows XP, after of installation I know all the problems(hardware, software etc), but before I don't know. My last chance is change the hard drive Western Digital to Maxtor (40 Gb), I believe that this is the solution for my experience in hardware, but I don't know if I breakdown.
    Thanks for you help
    sorry i have asked the same question about the bootloader error with windows and nobodoy knows how to fix it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast