Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wi-Fi doesn't work with Ubuntu 9.10

I am dual boot mode, Windows Vista / Ubuntu 9.10. The Wi-Fi works fine in Vista, but the wireless connect can't be detected in Ubuntu mode.

My machine is HP Pavillion DV6000, tried to chet network adapter and other things, I get the details below. Please help to fix the problem. How can i go about it?

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    Kernel modules: intel-agp
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: ssb
    05:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection [8086:1092] (rev 02)
    Kernel driver in use: e100
    Kernel modules: e100

I had the same thing

I'm new like you but...
    Mine didn't work either I found a thread I can't find it anymore sry.
    You nead a bradcom driver try opening synaptic you have to hard wire for that I downloaded the bradcom STA wireless driver (I'm guessing thats the right driver for you too) it was included in 9.4 but taken out of 9.10 because it is propriatory and the non propriatory driver you may have installed didn't work. It said there was some issues with IVP6. (slow internet) what it said to do was to go to your wireless settings disable IVP6 just change it to ignore.Then in IVP4 set it to auto and under DNS server enter in your IP. reboot. I did so because mine was slow and this made it fast. No one knew why this works but it did and maybe for you too.
    Let me know what happens
    Tnx
    Peter

one last thing

P.S.
    When you get it going I found that if you go back into your wireless settings and you edit
    IVP4 by changing it to automatic (DHCP) this will delete your IP settings that I said to enter earlier, and allow it to detect them automaticaly it will work faster.
    Im not sure you need to enter your ip in the 1st place but i did because they told me so.
    and thats all I got 4 u
    tnx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks Perkunas,

I've updated the drivers and it's working perfectly. I appreciate so much.

WI-FI drivers may be restricted.

I have an XPS M1710 Dell laptop that I use with 9.10 and when I perform a fresh install I have found it necessary to connect an ethernet cable to the computer and download the restricted drivers (both wireless and video). Once I reboot the machine the wireless works perfectly. The drivers are broadcom drivers.