Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ive just set up a Kubuntu 7.04 install on a PC based around a Gigabyte board with an ALC888 audio chip. In Windows there was an application from Realtek ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Realtek HD Audio ALC888

Hi,

Ive just set up a Kubuntu 7.04 install on a PC based around a Gigabyte board with an ALC888 audio chip.

In Windows there was an application from Realtek which was basically a GUI to configure the soundcard, allowing among other things, selecting the outputs (e.g. 8 channel sound or 2 channel stereo and which outputs these used).

What similar programs are their for Kubuntu, also, it seems to have installed OK but I cant get anything on the headphones, and from my searching so far Realtek arent much help, so do I need to download and install Linux drivers specific to this chip?

Thanks!

This may not work, but find the Windows Realtek app installer online or somewhere.

Open terminal/konsole and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Then type:

Code:
    wine
    including a space after, then just drag the .exe file into terminal and choose paste (konsole).

Then it will just run the windows app on linux, Although I'm sure you've heard of Wine. Just saving time by typing out how to do it if you don't already know.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thanks danvds3.

I had no idea Wine could work with drivers aswell.

I installed Wine and it appears to be running fine, however when I try and install the Realtek package, although it installs OK, I cant seem to get the application to run.

I did find some drivers under "HD Audio", "others" section of the Realtek site, and ive managed to install those however, and now I have sound.

The thing thats still confusing me is whether or not I can acctually use surround sound, KMix seems to have found quite a number of audio components with names like 'side' 'front' 'centre' and 'surround' but what I cant tell is if these are the names its given to the hardware outputs, or whether, say all the hardware outputs are within the 'surround' level and it just uses the default output configuration for each channel.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? At the moment im trying to get DVDs to work, then ill try setting the audio to surround and going between the outputs with a pair of headphones to see what I get

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sebmaster View Post
    Hi, Thanks danvds3.

I had no idea Wine could work with drivers aswell.

I installed Wine and it appears to be running fine, however when I try and install the Realtek package, although it installs OK, I cant seem to get the application to run.

I did find some drivers under "HD Audio", "others" section of the Realtek site, and ive managed to install those however, and now I have sound.

The thing thats still confusing me is whether or not I can acctually use surround sound, KMix seems to have found quite a number of audio components with names like 'side' 'front' 'centre' and 'surround' but what I cant tell is if these are the names its given to the hardware outputs, or whether, say all the hardware outputs are within the 'surround' level and it just uses the default output configuration for each channel.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? At the moment im trying to get DVDs to work, then ill try setting the audio to surround and going between the outputs with a pair of headphones to see what I get
    how did you get it to work? I have the same audio drivers and I did the alsa driver update and I got nothing ? What did you do to install and make it work on linux?

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I downloaded the Linux drivers from:

Realtek

(Its the 'Others' download in the Linux section)

The installation instructions are included, its basically a text based wizard.

I extracted the file to the desktop, loaded Konsole and cd'd to the new directory, then installed by:

sudo ./install

After the install it all ran fine. All I had to do was right click the KMix icon and "select master channel" (I used Front).

Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    thanks I'll give it a shot

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I downloaded the Linux drivers from:

Realtek

(Its the 'Others' download in the Linux section)

The installation instructions are included, its basically a text based wizard.

I extracted the file to the desktop, loaded Konsole and cd'd to the new directory, then installed by:

sudo ./install

After the install it all ran fine. All I had to do was right click the KMix icon and "select master channel" (I used Front).

Good Luck!
    sebmaster is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

even i have the same problem wit realtek high definition audio........
    and in the above post.......wat do u mean by "cd'd to the new directory"

i wud be greatful if i cud get an possible solution for this...

Just Joined!
    Hi,

When I say cd'd I mean I used the command cd, to change directory.

So for example say I downloaded and extracted the drivers to the desktop I would open a Konsole window and type:

sudo cd /home/sebmaster/desktop/[folder extracted to]/

(You probably dont need sudo but I have got into the habit of adding it before pretty much everything)

Then I would run sudo ./install to run the install file in that directory to set up the drivers.

Hope you get it to work, Good Luck.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up thanx

I got sound working because of this thread, just wanted to say thanx. Now I have to re-install drivers for my harmon/kardon soundsticks, there's always something!!!