Find the answer to your Linux question:
so how do i delete ubuntu off my computer? and the grub loader...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to remove Ubuntu

so how do i delete ubuntu off my computer? and the grub loader

Is this a dual boot system that also has a copy of MS Windows installed? If so, you'll want to boot with your Windows install disc, hit R to go to a recovery console when it prompts you, and type FIXMBR, which will remove the GRUB bootloader.

You would then need to boot into MS Windows, open up your Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management program, and click on "Disk Management". Look for the partition that IS NOT "NTFS (Healthy)", right click on it and choose "Delete Partition". Then reformat it as NTFS to let MS Windows use it.

Alternately, after you've deleted the partition you can leave it unformatted and use a tool such as Partition Magic to expand your existing MS Windows parition (NTFS) to fill the empty space left by your Ubuntu partition.

If you do not have any other OS installed on the harddrive, your process is much simpler: just reinstall MS Windows. It will overwrite anything already on the drive including the bootloader. No extra steps are needed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    We hate to see you removing Ubuntu. Hopefully it's only because you want to install another distribution

Just Joined!
    thanks for that and yes it is a dual boot with vista. i am removing it because it didnt work on my lappy with the 8400m gt card i guess there arent any drivers for it, but i will be installing on my 5 yr. old desktop with beryl. i hope it works cuz my intel gma on that suks.

Quote Originally Posted by sm32589g View Post
    thanks for that and yes it is a dual boot with vista. i am removing it because it didnt work on my lappy with the 8400m gt card i guess there arent any drivers for it, but i will be installing on my 5 yr. old desktop with beryl. i hope it works cuz my intel gma on that suks.
    There are Linux drivers for Nvidia cards, and they've historically worked quite well for me. I wouldn't give up so easily, but it's your computer. For those curious, the thread involving this is here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...er-feisty.html
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks i guess it wouldnt hurt to try again. do u think you could guide me thru the process. cuz in my other post it was the kernel was off. do u have windows messenger or sumthing?

thanks i guess it wouldnt hurt to try again. do u think you could guide me thru the process. cuz in my other post it was the kernel was off. do u have windows messenger or sumthing?
    I only give help through the forums. I've posted another possible solution on the other thread.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

give this a shot

Just Joined!
    i cant cuz when i try the restricted drivers i dont know why but it says
    "cannot set because drivers dont need restriction" or sumthing similar to that i forget tho.

Just Joined!
    I had the exact same trouble with my ATI drivers. I performed a 'manual' installation and it works fine. Here's the link for Nvidia. I suggest reading it over completely and printing it out for reference as you go along and follow it carefully

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual

Don't be so quick to give up