Find the answer to your Linux question:
(newbie) I downloaded the Server version because I am building my server (Asus KFN5-D SLI, dual Opteron F socket 800 series, 16 gb memory & 5 SATA II hard drives). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Ubuntu Server vs Desktop versions

(newbie) I downloaded the Server version because I am building my server (Asus KFN5-D SLI, dual Opteron F socket 800 series, 16 gb memory & 5 SATA II hard drives). There is also a Desktop version available for download as well. Will I have to use the desktop as well or will the server version include same.

The difference is that the server version is command line only, and contains server specific packages in place of desktop components. Linux is not like Windows in that there are not different levels of functionality between the desktop and server version. Instead each is just a starting point. If you install the server version you can install the desktop on top of it by installing the 'ubuntu-desktop' package. If you install the desktop version you will still have access to various server packages from the repositories.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 08-26-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks BIGTOMRODNEY. I will download the desktop as well. Before downloading the server version I read about LAMP which I feel will help me as a newbie to UBUNTU. You mentioned command line only, will this be appropriate for me as a newbie to install ? TIA

You can still run LAMP on the desktop version. I would recommend using the desktop version. If you decide later on to run a headless server (command line only) you will be able to disable the desktop from loading.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks again. I am VERY impressed with this forum and trully appreciate the excellent and QUICK responses I have received. I look forward to learning more.

Lightbulb

Also, if you're using LAMP for the first time I would suggest giving apache friends - xampp. It's very easy to install and run if you're using Ubuntu Desktop. However if you're going to install Ubuntu Server everything is setup automatically and runs just fine and there is no need to use XAMPP.

I ran into a lot of problems trying to install a LAMP server on Ubuntu Desktop. Everything has to be configured... it's a lot of work... at least when I did it. I gave up and used XAMPP.

Now I have a computer setup as a dedicated server. I installed Ubuntu Server (my first server ever, so much fun!) and it works great!
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!
    Appreciate your input FLIPJARGENDY. I have a question regarding hard disks formats. I downloaded UBUNTU and installed on another machine I have which is configured with 2 SATA II drives MIRRORED and previously formatted as NTFS. When I tried to remove the install CD it wouldn't release so I can only run as LIVE CD.

It will lock the CD/DVD drive while it is running as a live CD. If you have enough RAM (>1GB) you may be able to run it completely from RAM with a boot option. If you want to install it you can install it from the icon on the desktop and when the install finishes it will prompt you to reboot. When the system reboots it will boot to Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I have two 500 gb hd's configured as RAID 1 and 2 gb ram. I initially tried to install UBUNTU from the desktop icon and responded to use all of the SDA. By all appearances everything went well and I was prompted to remove the CD and press enter for the restart. The system restarts to a black screen requesting boot media. With no media I press enter and keep getting the same request for boot media. I hit escape and I get GRUB and nothing else happens. So the only process I can successfully perform is use a LIVE cd. I will check for more threads on the forum to see on... LOST for now.. Thanks bigtomrodney.

I have a feeling that Ubuntu Server also runs a modified kernel to their desktop version.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverg...o-install.html

So there might be slight performance differences depending on what your doing.