Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use a USB mike, for Skype. On installation Ubuntu finds it OK, and with a little tweaking, has been working fine. My on-board audio was failing, so I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A way to test microphone?

I use a USB mike, for Skype. On installation Ubuntu finds it OK, and with a little tweaking, has been working fine.

My on-board audio was failing, so I installed an audio card. Again, Ubuntu simply uses it with no problems.

But at the same time my USB mike stopped working. I had made no changes in any configuration. But so far my "tweaking" has not made it work again.

So the question: Is there a way to test a mike in Ubuntu? I can use the Skype test, but I would prefer to not have to call over and over again to make the test. I don't need a studio recording program, but simply a utility that can test mikes.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks for suggestions,

Josť

Linux Newbie
    Well, I have been looking for a way to get the mike to work with Skype, and found a very simple way to test if the mike itself works:

cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp

That plays the mike through the computer sound system.

So at least I have gotten that far, so I guess the original thread can be closed.

Josť