Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I needed a desktop for work and I decided I would try out Linux. I have heard great things and I am enjoying it so far. I am adjusting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with ZSNES

Hello!

I needed a desktop for work and I decided I would try out Linux. I have heard great things and I am enjoying it so far. I am adjusting to the learning curve. I've never had to use an OS that didn't hand me everything on a silver platter.

So, for a lark I download an SNES emulator. I wanted to have something to pass the time between projects. I love Earthbound, and I don't think my boss would be too happy if I brought my console to work with me! So, I uncompressed the file to my desktop. Now I don't know what to do. I tried reading some documentation but it only told me what the file extensions meant, not how to use them. I tried using an application (add/remove + synaptic) to do it, but I'm stumped. A friend of mine who is very fluent with the Linux environment told me I may have to recompile the source material...this also confuses me. I understand the concept, but lack the knowledge to execute, heh.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I'd like to apply this to running other applications. However, the above is my immediate issue.

Thanks!

~Ubuntunewb

Which emulator did you download? You might want to try ZSNES which is one of the best SNES emulators out there and can be found in the Ubuntu repositories. In a terminal run:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install zsnes
    Linux user 439038 | Ubuntu user 20892

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I did grab ZSNES and I put that code in the term but it says no packages could be found...do I need to move the folder from desktop to another directory? Can I use that line of script to install anything? Like "sudo aptitude install
    __x-package__"?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntuba View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did grab ZSNES and I put that code in the term but it says no packages could be found...
    You probably have some repositories missing. Post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file (less the comments)

Can I use that line of script to install anything? Like "sudo aptitude install __x-package__"?
    Yes. Aptitude is just a package manager like apt-get or it's GUI interface Synaptic, except with much better dependency handling. See the Ubuntu Help Centre for information about aptitude or just run 'man aptitude' from a terminal.

Some aptitude basics are:

aptitude search pattern
    searches for packages matching pattern in name and description

aptitude remove package
    removes package leaving its configuration intact

aptitude purge package
    completely removes package

aptitude update
    updates package lists

aptitude upgrade
    upgrade your system

If you use aptitude stop using apt-get (and vice versa)
    Linux user 439038 | Ubuntu user 20892