Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thinking of getting a high end pci-ex card to play ET : Quake Wars on Ubuntu. Any recommendations? Anyone tested anything recently? I'm looking @ this card. XFX 8800 GTS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Recommendations for gaming graphic card that works well with Ubuntu.

Thinking of getting a high end pci-ex card to play ET : Quake Wars on Ubuntu. Any recommendations? Anyone tested anything recently? I'm looking @ this card. XFX 8800 GTS 640 mb XXX edition. Any comments on this?
    "A graphical user interface is just a mask. What lies beneath is what matters."

Any card with an Nvidia chipset should work just fine in Linux. Just make sure you install the official drivers off the Nvidia site.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Ditto what techieMoe said although ATI is finally making some improvements. I've always gone with nVidia cards for Linux and have never regretted it.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree although i do not have an Nvidia card in this linux box, but ATI is a pain in the arse, my next card will be a Nvidia!!!

Linux Newbie
    fF you hoose nvidia, use Envy to install your drivers as it completly sautomates EVERYTHIGN and works 100% of the time in my experience!

Tim

P.s. I use the Nvidia 7600 GT and it kicks some serious butt! :P
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

When i started, they didn't have Envy though. So i'm rather used to manually downloading and installing the nvidia drivers.

I am also familiar with Envy. Just makes it easier, that's all.

Thanks for the recommendation though. Shows you care. =)

Now i've got a 6600 GT overclocked to 6800's performance standards, but it's a bit outdated and i'm thinking of getting a 7000 series card. 8000 series may be too much of a jump as i'm still on a fast single core and i might get bottlenecked.

@ those kinda prices, i'd rather not get bottled necked but i'm looking to get another system in future for games. For now, i'm looking @ a 7000 series card. Anyone know of any card i can get that would be better than a 7600 GT and i would not get bottlenecked much by my system if i use such a card?

7900GS is a great card too. What is your processor's speed?
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Hi, It's a 3.0 ghz HT single core.

It is a pretty good processor. A possible good idea would be getting an 8800GT which I read is really good. You might get bottlenecked but if I were you, I would overclock the cpu at ~3.4 and keep the vga which you can keep with a future cpu upgrade. Just my opinion though.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

OC is locked though. Intel mobo. Bought it to prevent myself from going overboard like my brother. Dude hit 3.7 ghz and is still running at that up from 2.8 ghz. Acts up once in a blue moon though. Any card that would really be good and not get bottlenecked? I'm on DDR SDRAM - standard kston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast