Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday I was working at one of my schools campus's. I finally got beryl working and was happy as can be. Today i go to the main campus... put the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fatal IO error 104 on X server

Yesterday I was working at one of my schools campus's. I finally got beryl working and was happy as can be. Today i go to the main campus... put the hard drive into the computer... and I get the error. I am still a linux noob and this problem is somewhat beyond me. The only thing I could think of would be a problem with the display adapter. The school usues dell 745's with a 128MB ATI X1300 display adapter (sorry if i am using a windows term) and I am sure that the other campuses use the same device but in a different model of dell. i am using Ubuntu 7.4 and if i update to 7.10 through the terminal not the live cd would that solve my problem while preserving the files and programs i have currently installed?

Here is more detail on the error.

X Window System Version 7.2.0
    Release Date: 22 January 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
    Current O/S: Linux """-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23
    ""
    ""
    Module Loader Present
    Markers:
    (==) Log File: '/var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (==) Using Config File: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (WW) RADEON: No matching device section for instance BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
    (EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Just Joined!
    i managed to fix it with help from headcrabs thread, i guess he had the same problem as me. I reconfidured x server and now it works without a problem. I have a project where I have to design a network for a university campus and I would like to use linux servers with xp workstations. my ideal situation would be to go with full linux on the servers and workstations but not everyone likes linux. i want to do something really innovative for this project and a few of the instructors are looking at me to do something with linux because no one has ever done a linux capstone project. I am basically open to suggestions... a little bit of brainstorming and whatnot. I appreciate any suggestions.