Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm having lots of trouble getting the internet to work on the x86 version of Ubuntu 7.1 on my V3611AU. I need to start install in safe graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet not working on Compaq Presario V3000 ( V3611AU )

Hi guys,

I'm having lots of trouble getting the internet to work on the x86 version of Ubuntu 7.1 on my V3611AU.

I need to start install in safe graphics mode, but it installs successfully. How do I know if my NIC has been detected properly? I'm new to Linux, but would love to get familiar with it! I really need the internet to work!

Its a PPPOe connection, theres absolutely no activity, I even tried manual configuration. Help please! I see a lot of "unknowns" in the device manager.

-Thanks,
    Uttam

wireless

I would suggest trying to get the wireless up first. What kind of wireless card do you have? If your network card isn't being detected the wireless card might be able to be forced through ndiswrapper. Download the xp version of the driver, install ndiswrapper, and then use the software to install the driver, at least this way you'll have something up. As for the network card....I would search google a bit and see if anyone else has had the problem (while browsing back here occasionally to see if someone has responded). Hope that helps

jmadero

Linux Newbie
    You should also see an icon in the top-right corner of the screen that looks like two computer monitors. If there is a red "x", then either your wireless or internal adapter was probably found just not connected to anything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, I managed to get it working for a while. It appears as if I need to enter the IP address and other settings everytime I reboot, and then its a hit and miss getting it online. I managed until yesterday, each time I reboot, I need to reenter my IP and gateway settings. It usually used to connect, but each time I do this, a new profile seems to get created, I'm at eth13 now, and rising, but now when I try entering the settings, the computer locks up, and all controls go dead. Any one know whats up? The other issue is that it does not remember my screen resolution settings either, I need to re configure each time I reboot.

-Thanks,
    Uttam

Quote Originally Posted by uttam1 View Post
    Thanks guys, I managed to get it working for a while. It appears as if I need to enter the IP address and other settings everytime I reboot, and then its a hit and miss getting it online. I managed until yesterday, each time I reboot, I need to reenter my IP and gateway settings. It usually used to connect, but each time I do this, a new profile seems to get created, I'm at eth13 now, and rising, but now when I try entering the settings, the computer locks up, and all controls go dead. Any one know whats up? The other issue is that it does not remember my screen resolution settings either, I need to re configure each time I reboot.

-Thanks,
    Uttam
    You do not need to renter your configuration. You're on a dynamic DSL plan?
    "A graphical user interface is just a mask. What lies beneath is what matters."