Find the answer to your Linux question:
unfortunately, i need to keep windows xp home on my system, but i also want ubuntu. i only have one harddrive and am using hp system recovery disks, not regular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need multiboot help

unfortunately, i need to keep windows xp home on my system, but i also want ubuntu. i only have one harddrive and am using hp system recovery disks, not regular xp cd. i couldnt find any answers on the forums. im new to both multibooting and linux, so if you could go slow and be gentle that would be much appreciated. im currently working off of the ubuntu live cd. How do I make a multiboot system with Ubuntu and Windows XP Home edition?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You must have some unallocated space on your drive to install Linux, meaning that if Windows is using the entire drive, you will have to shrink your Windows partition to make room for Linux. The Ubuntu installer can handle that chore for you, but it would be wise to defragment your Windows partition before doing so, using the Windows defag tool built right into XP.

Another option would be to use the PartedMagic LiveCD to shrink your Windows partition, again defragging first. Then when you run the Ubuntu installer, just direct it to use the free space you've just created. How much free space to create is up to you, but you'll need about 6 to 8 GB for your root partition, about 1 GB (more or less) for a Swap partition, and maybe another 6 to 8 GB for a /home partition if you want a separate home partition. I recommend making one.

The installer will give you an option to dual boot between Linux and Windows.
    oz

Just Joined!

?

from a blank HD i installed ubuntu first then used the recovery disks to install xp, i have a 160 gig HD. i have a 2.8G swap, 71G ntfs for windows and a 75G ext2 for linux. should i delete all partitions, install xp, then ubuntu? or can i fix it from here?

oz
    forum.guy
    It's far better to always install Windows first, because if you install it last Windows will invariably overwrite the master boot record (MBR) taking away your chance to dual boot. If both operating systems are working properly, you can probably fix it, but it might be just as quick to start from scratch, installing Windows first. That's probably what I'd do, if doing so won't cause the loss of lots of stored data.

You'd just install Windows again, but leave enough free space to install Ubuntu later, and let the Ubuntu installer setup dual booting for you. It's pretty much an automated process.

Also, you'd be better of with the ext3 filesystem unless you need ext2 for some reason. Just format swap as swap, and make / (root) and /home ext3.
    oz

Just Joined!

thanks

i deleted the swap and ext2 partitions from the live cd since windows should be working. im currently installing ubuntu into the freed space. i'll let you know how it went when im done.

Just Joined!
    ubuntu works fine now, but when i select windows xp from the OS menu, it gets stuck on
    starting up...

Just Joined!
    I left unallocated space for Ubuntu but windows, being the greedy bastard that it is, took that space as well. now i get an error whenever i try to resize that partion. what should i do?

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, Windows has a habit of wanting to own the hard drive. I think you'll still have better results if you install Windows first, because it has to be installed in a primary partition and I'm not sure how you have things setup now.
    oz

Just Joined!

urgg

This isn't working, i would like to have Linux but i do need windows. I had to install Linux first so that Windows wont eat the unallocated space, then i installed windows onto half of the hard drive. then since windows did erase the mbr i had to reinstall linux (as planned) and now i'm working with an installed and functioning Ubuntu but when i select Window from the OS list, it gets stuck on Starting up... I don't understand whats wrong, everything i have read says that my system should be working now. I am using Hp Recovery disks, could that be the problem? maybe its just that 6 year old computers don't work right...