Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi !!, My computer has two hard drives, one houses Ubuntu 7.10, and the other XP SP2. How would I go about using VMware to use WindowsXP while booted in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VMware Question

Hi !!,

My computer has two hard drives, one houses Ubuntu 7.10, and the other XP SP2. How would I go about using VMware to use WindowsXP while booted in to Ubuntu?. I've read up on how to install VMware, but I dont want to do so if I cant use it to access my XP install on the other hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Lvcoyote View Post
    Hi !!,

My computer has two hard drives, one houses Ubuntu 7.10, and the other XP SP2. How would I go about using VMware to use WindowsXP while booted in to Ubuntu?. I've read up on how to install VMware, but I dont want to do so if I cant use it to access my XP install on the other hard drive.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

I do not think that you can access you XP installation on the other hard drive using vmware. You can just mount it under Linux and access the data. VMware is not written to access different hard disk. It provides you under the host operating system a virtual computer, on which you can install a guest operating system (as for example XP). Meaning the guest operating system is not on a separate physical hard drive. It is just embedded in your host operating system in a file. I am using an old version of VMware under FC4 as a host operating system and Windows 2000 as the guest operating system. Both communicate using samba.

Hope that helps,
    Mazer
    I was seduced by SUSE 5.1.
    Registered Linux User #451562

Hi !!,

Thanks in advance!
    You can mount your ntfs partition with ntfs-3g.
    "A graphical user interface is just a mask. What lies beneath is what matters."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, I loaded a copy of XP inside VMware and it went off without a hitch..... I seem to have everything working. I only have one more problem I'd like to resolve. While using WindowsXP inside the VMserver as the guest OS, it will not let me do the windows updates. I get to the windows update site and it appears to be searching for the appropriate updats, then finally I get a screeen saying that windows update can not display the requested page....

Any ideas on this???

Had to change settings to share the LAN connection with exisiting Linux install, the updates work fine now.

Ok, I loaded a copy of XP inside VMware and it went off without a hitch..... I seem to have everything working. I only have one more problem I'd like to resolve. While using WindowsXP inside the VMserver as the guest OS, it will not let me do the windows updates. I get to the windows update site and it appears to be searching for the appropriate updats, then finally I get a screeen saying that windows update can not display the requested page....

Any ideas on this???
    I've successfully update Windows as a guest vm OS with Ubuntu as the host OS. Multiple times in fact, it works fine. Perhaps it's your network? Does your firewall have activex disabled? Cause that seems to stop it as well as Windows Defender.

Do take note that vmware server and player have limitations. The server versions prior to 2.0 cant use USB 2.0 devices and 2.0 has no console anymore, it's web based.

Virtualbox would be a better bet if you want USB support.

VMware workstation is fine but has no remote connectivity and you need a license to use the software.

I got it working by changing the network sharing thing to share the connection with the installed Linux OS, works good now..... thanks for the reply!

I got it working by changing the network sharing thing to share the connection with the installed Linux OS, works good now..... thanks for the reply!
    Yeah bridge mode is usually the way to go.

Actually I think Bridge mode was the one giving me problems, I think I changed it to NAT or something like that.