Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I just installed Compiz ccmp or something like that maybe an hour ago. The advanced options thing. Anyway, it didn't work. In fact, before I installed that, I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desperate for help with compiz and effects... masisve slowdown

So I just installed Compiz ccmp or something like that maybe an hour ago. The advanced options thing. Anyway, it didn't work. In fact, before I installed that, I could use the wiggly window feature with great speed. After installing compiz my appearance preferences confined me only to the "None" option. It said something like "Could not enable desktop effects".

So I figured, ok, I'll tackle this later. I uninstalled Compiz. problem solved, right? Wrong. In fact, after uninstalling compiz, i still retained a massive slowdown and was still unable to select any effects options other than "None".

So I restarted the computer a few times, tried updating my drivers, and a few other things. Well, nothing exciting happened really. Sad to say. Restarted the computer once more and now I'm able to turn on effects again but the lag is so amazing that the effects are completely loss. keep in mind that just an hour ago, before I installed compiz, these same effects were no problem. Now, it's like scrolling is an effect. Just scrolling causes lag.

when i type "compiz" in the terminal, this is what comes up
    Code:
     peter@peter-laptop:~$ compiz
    Checking for Xgl: present. 
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
    The last time I tried this, it was a little longer and seemed to come up with more error messages in the code, but nonetheless, this is the most recent result.

I'd really like to actually get this compiz **** working. So if anyone has any idea why this happened, please let me know.

Just Joined!
    I don't have a lot to add right now but I need everyone to give this another look since this is really important for my computer. I just spent the last 72 hours getting rid of problem after problem just as people on various forums have told me, or in some cases, I figured it out myself.

But this one is beyond me and I really need help. I think this is one the last serious issues I'll face and I know that since I had a good speed going before, it's possible to get it back

Thanks

Post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here. I would disable all the options for compiz/beryl and start from scratch.
    BTW, which video card do you have? Try installing the drivers for it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by dashgalaxy86 View Post
    So I just installed Compiz ccmp or something like that maybe an hour ago. The advanced options thing. Anyway, it didn't work. In fact, before I installed that, I could use the wiggly window feature with great speed. After installing compiz my appearance preferences confined me only to the "None" option. It said something like "Could not enable desktop effects".

So I figured, ok, I'll tackle this later. I uninstalled Compiz. problem solved, right? Wrong. In fact, after uninstalling compiz, i still retained a massive slowdown and was still unable to select any effects options other than "None".

So I restarted the computer a few times, tried updating my drivers, and a few other things. Well, nothing exciting happened really. Sad to say. Restarted the computer once more and now I'm able to turn on effects again but the lag is so amazing that the effects are completely loss. keep in mind that just an hour ago, before I installed compiz, these same effects were no problem. Now, it's like scrolling is an effect. Just scrolling causes lag.

when i type "compiz" in the terminal, this is what comes up
    Code:
     peter@peter-laptop:~$ compiz
    Checking for nVidia: not present. 
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
    The last time I tried this, it was a little longer and seemed to come up with more error messages in the code, but nonetheless, this is the most recent result.

I'd really like to actually get this compiz **** working. So if anyone has any idea why this happened, please let me know.
    How much RAM do you have on your system? ccsm does not have an icon as yet. Did you try launching it from the terminal?
    "A graphical user interface is just a mask. What lies beneath is what matters."

Just Joined!
    OK, how do I get that stuff to you? WHat do I enter in the command line?
    I'll gladly do what you say, it sounds like a good idea, but I just am too new to this stuff to know how.

Also, Laptop Computers, Projectors and Accessories - Toshiba

There's a link to the full specs of my computer right there. If you want to type in that one command that tells me about my system, I'd love to, but I don't remember what the command is.

EDIT: I have 1 gig of ram. CCSM doesn't have an icon??? I just typed Compiz in the Add/Remove programs search bar, and it showed up there. I installed it from there, and that installed the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, and that's all I know about. It also added the "Custom" option to Appearance.

Just Joined!
    OK, I just booted from my Live CD and the difference is night and day. Everything is much faster when booting from the CD, and I can use the advanced effects options without any slowdown whatsoever.

I hope this helps you guys figure something out. Is there a way to revert to all the previous settings my Ubuntu had when it first started or something? Or should I just reinstall it? It really wouldn't be that big of a loss, in fact I have an unused partition of 80 gigs just wasting.

So what do you think? Is there a way I can save Compiz and still have some cool effects? Or am I doomed to only have the wobbly window?

So, according to the link you provided, you have an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950.
    Issue this command and post the output here please, I think the trouble is that you don't have the correct video drivers. It's probably still using the VESA driver.
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep Driver
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    peter@peter-laptop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep Driver
            Driver          "kbd"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Driver          "synaptics"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Driver          "intel"
    OK please tell me that helped us. I don't see anything saying VESA on there but I don't really speak Terminalese yet.

Here is my "lspci" results:
    Code:
    peter@peter-laptop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    06:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
    06:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    06:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
    06:04.3 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
    peter@peter-laptop:~$
    And my "top" code
    Code:
    top - 11:23:41 up 10 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.35, 0.26
    Tasks: 114 total,   3 running, 111 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  4.0%us,  0.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 95.3%id,  0.0%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   1025984k total,   567296k used,   458688k free,    15940k buffers
    Swap:   626492k total,        0k used,   626492k free,   238436k cached
    Change delay from 3.0 to:  
      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            
     5594 peter     15   0  139m  42m 6752 S    7  4.3   1:29.80 Xgl                
     5607 peter     15   0 38512  10m 7832 S    0  1.0   0:00.42 gnome-settings-    
     5635 peter     15   0 23912  17m 6904 R    0  1.8   0:02.79 compiz.real        
     5674 peter     15   0 16424 2652 1756 S    0  0.3   0:00.26 gnome-screensav    
     5779 peter     15   0 78240  19m  11m R    0  1.9   0:00.72 gnome-terminal     
     5807 peter     15   0  2368 1156  876 R    0  0.1   0:00.15 top                
        1 root      15   0  2952 1856  532 S    0  0.2   0:01.38 init               
        2 root      11  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd           
        3 root      RT  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 migration/0        
        4 root      34  19     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.11 ksoftirqd/0        
        5 root      RT  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 watchdog/0         
        6 root      RT  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 migration/1        
        7 root      34  19     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/1        
        8 root      RT  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 watchdog/1         
        9 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 events/0           
       10 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 events/1           
       11 root      15  -5     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper
    OK hope something here assists us. Sorry it took me 25 minutes to respond, I had to get breakfast. It's 11:30 am here in Taipei.

10:30 PM here.
    It looks like you have the correct driver in use.
    Driver "intel"
    You could always kill off some of those processes using the PID number like this:
    kill 5594
    kill 5607
    That should clear up some memory.
    In the xorg file, comment out any options such as AddARGBGLXVisuals with a # like this
    # Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
    # Option "RenderAccel" "True"
    # Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    # Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
    I think this is why a lot of folks don't use beryl/compiz, I mean it's nice and all but it sure sucks memory from the rest of the system.

Just Joined!
    OK
    i tried doing those "kill" commands but they caused my system to restart and prompted me to log back in.

You're telling me to do a lot of xorg stuff.. is this also all command line?

And, ultimately my next decision comes down to this... Do you know what's wrong with my system? Will screwing with this xorg stuff fix it? If yes, then I'll do as you say, but if no, then I think I'd better just reinstall everything, because even when I uninstall Compiz now, there's still the same amount of lag, even with no effects turned on at all. But the boot disc is much smoother and the highest effects setting is great even when booting from the CD. So I don't think it has to do with drivers or ram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast