Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have had Ubuntu 7.10 installed on my system for around 3 months now. Once installed everything was functioning superbly. I had a few problems figuring out how to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox Flash/Video/Media Freezes 7.10

I have had Ubuntu 7.10 installed on my system for around 3 months now. Once installed everything was functioning superbly. I had a few problems figuring out how to install some themes but other than that everything was fine.

However, I started to attempt to increase perfermance through changing settings via the terminal.

I only wanted to speed up the boot time as I thought I might be able to get it faster. However, after tweaking a few things (I cannot remember what these were) I started running into problems. They are all firefox related. Whenever I attempt to load any type of media (youtube videos, myspace songs, anytype of flash) firefox freezes, and needs a quit, session restore. Then if I try to view a video etc. again it will freeze. This is distressing and I have thought about attempting to reinstall Ubuntu. This would not be too much of a problem as I am running it side by side with Windows and so can move my files from one to the other, and because of the problems I have encountered early on I am not yet fully dependent, so there are few important files.

I have tried reinstalling firefox and everything connected with it in Synaptic, and have also tried reinstalling adobe flash player from both synaptic and the website, but I have witnessed no change.

I admit that this could very possibly simply be a problem with firefox, but I am at a loss at what to do.

I do remember going into the terminal and visiting a small page of text with the digit "1" at the end of every string of text. I think I changed one of these values (the third of five or something) to 0. I definitely changed something to 0 though. I am not sure if this helps at all.

Also almost all text that I view in firefox (these problems only occur in Ubuntu, although I use firefox in Windows as well) is always stuck in captials, regardless of caps lock. The text in other areas of Ubuntu is fine, although I think this problem was aroused when I installed winfonts onto the ubuntu system.

I would very much like to get the OS back to full functionality, and would be delighted with any response. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome !

Have you tried moving .mozilla folder?
    Execute this
    Code:
    cd 
    mv .mozilla Mozilla.bak
    Open Firefox and check if it works. You can restore bookmarks from Mozilla.bak folder easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sorry about the delay.
    I just tried it, but there was no change.
    All of my settings have disappeared, but apart from that nothing.
    The text and the freezing problems are the same.

Just Joined!
    I just tried the Opera browser and have exactly the same problems there, except the youtube videos do not make the browser freeze, they just appear as a large grey box. The capitals are still present there as well.

do you have the firefox mplayer plugin installed? i had a conflict between totem and mplayer. removing totem solved it.

I've been having the same problems with flash in Slackware, Ubuntu and Crux. Very reproducible. Go to YouTube, and start a video. While it is playing, click on another video and Firefox freezes every time. The only way out is to kill Firefox and start over.

Interestingly enough, I just upgraded my Crux 2.3 box to the latest stable 2.6.24.1 kernel, and now all the freezing Youtube/Flash problems have gone away! I'm not sure why a kernel update would make the difference, but with this 2.6.24.1 kernel, I've tried to crash Flash/Firefox on Youtube and can't.

Flash is working perfectly for me now.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here