Find the answer to your Linux question:
since i have decided linux mint is not for me, I was just wondering how do i remove it. I have it installed on the same HDD as what i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want to remove linux mint

since i have decided linux mint is not for me, I was just wondering how do i remove it. I have it installed on the same HDD as what i have xp installed on.

cheers

Do you mean that you just want Windows XP, or do you want to replace Mint with something else? If it's the latter, you can simply install another Linux distribution over the top of it; if it's the former, you'll have to be careful because if you lose Grub, you'll also lose the possibility of booting back into Winows. In this case, I wouldn't know what to do as I know diddly about Windows!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    Do you mean that you just want Windows XP, or do you want to replace Mint with something else? If it's the latter, you can simply install another Linux distribution over the top of it; if it's the former, you'll have to be careful because if you lose Grub, you'll also lose the possibility of booting back into Winows. In this case, I wouldn't know what to do as I know diddly about Windows!
    No, just get rid of linux all together, maybe in the future i might have another go at it, but for now i would wish to stick with xp

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you intend to reclaim the space for Windows, I suggest you boot from a small live cd like partedmagic and delete your Linux partitions. You can use the same disc to format the free space into NTFS or do it later on from within Windows. You will need to also remove grub and you can do this by booting from an XP installation disc, get into recovery mode and enter the command "fixmbr". Another option would be to boot from dos or freedos floppy or cd and enter the command "fdisk /mbr". Yet another option would be to boot from supergrub disk and choose the option to remove grub (fix windows boot loader).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    If you intend to reclaim the space for Windows, I suggest you boot from a small live cd like partedmagic and delete your Linux partitions. You can use the same disc to format the free space into NTFS or do it later on from within Windows. You will need to also remove grub and you can do this by booting from an XP installation disc, get into recovery mode and enter the command "fixmbr". Another option would be to boot from dos or freedos floppy or cd and enter the command "fdisk /mbr". Yet another option would be to boot from supergrub disk and choose the option to remove grub (fix windows boot loader).
    yep, I'll give that a try thanks, also, i should be able to delete the partitions in windows?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Sometimes Windows does not see linux partitions, so you can't always delete Linux partitions from within Windows. If you can see them, then its probably possible to delete them from within Windows. If not, then you can use the Parted Magic live cd that I mentioned above.

Hello My Problem is similar yet different (lol)

Actually i assembled my compi few days ago and installed the following stuff..

On a single 500 gb harddisk

I First installed Xp on 100 gb partition &
    Then installed Vista 64 bit on a 100 gb partiton
    Then made a 200 gb partition for media and pics and common stuff

Finally made a ext3 partition - 50 gb and installed ubuntu 7.10 and a swap 2 gb.....

Everything works just fine and a have no intention of removing linux now

But if i want to remove ubuntu any of the following options must work for me too right??? And i must boot from vista dvd into recovery mode instead of xp cd right????

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    If you intend to reclaim the space for Windows, I suggest you boot from a small live cd like partedmagic and delete your Linux partitions. You can use the same disc to format the free space into NTFS or do it later on from within Windows. You will need to also remove grub and you can do this by booting from an VISTA installation disc, get into recovery mode and enter the command "fixmbr". Another option would be to boot from dos or freedos floppy or cd and enter the command "fdisk /mbr". Yet another option would be to boot from supergrub disk and choose the option to remove grub (fix windows boot loader).

And i must boot from vista dvd into recovery mode instead of xp cd right????
    Yes. Boot up from Vista CD/DVD to remove GRUB. Follow instructions from here.
    Delete Linux partitions using Vista Partitioning Tool after removing GRUB.
    Last edited by devils casper; 02-11-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: linky
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yes, you'll have to follow the procedure that daark.child laid out. The problem with Linux, no let's re-phrase that, the problem with Windows is that when you install it (Linux that is) Grub becomes the boot manager. This is because Windows thinks it's alone in the world: whereas Linux can 'see' Windows, Windows can't (or its developers make it blind to) Linux.
    Now, the trouble is that you can't go about this willy-nilly: you have to follow the correct procedure. This is because computers pre-installed with Windows can be tattood (an anti-piracy mesure ): if Windows feels 'fiddled with' it can refuse to install. Don't worry, though, the people on this site who also have Windows on their machine (I'm 100% Tux myself) will know what to do.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

You should generally start a new thread for questions rather than hijack one that's over a year old.

If you can't boot from an external CD drive, then you're going to have to figure out how to install from USB. I assume NC10 came with XP? You might call Samsung tech support and ask them.

For the wireless, what version of Mint are you using? I'm fairly sure your wireless card is a Atheros AR242x. It looks like the drivers for this card have been backported to Mint 7. Assuming you can get a wired connection for a minute (and you have backports enabled in your repository list), this should fix your wirelss
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty