Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was setting up an in-house file server and development “sandbox” and decided to try the Ubuntu 7.10 Server Edition. After installing Ubuntu 7.1 Server I was surprised to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up Ubuntu 7.10 Server Edition with root login & Gnome Desktop

I was setting up an in-house file server and development “sandbox” and decided to try the Ubuntu 7.10 Server Edition. After installing Ubuntu 7.1 Server I was surprised to find that the user that was created during the install process did not have SU privileges; su and sudo did not work for this user; and there was no root login. Also, I wanted a GUI X-terminal desktop.

I found an excellent screen by screen install procedure at Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) LAMP Server Installation with Screenshots -- Debian Admin for 6.1 and 7.1 seemed to be the same as far as the screens go. At the end of the process the author wrote:

“Enable root Account in Ubuntu server (Not Recommended for security Reasons this is just Optional)
    After the reboot you can login with your previously created username (test). Now we will enable the root account using the following command
    sudo passwd root
    and give root a password.
    Now onwards we become root by running the following command
    Su”

This did not work on 7.1. After some extensive research I found information that finally got me up and going, and I want to share this and thank those who have contributed.

After installing Ubuntu 7.10 Server Edition, during the re-boot the system displays the message:
    Grub loading…
    Press <ESC> to enter the menu

Press <ESC> and select Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-server (recovery mode)
    From there you will be logged as 'root' without asking for any root password. Now enter “passwd root” and you will be allowed to enter and verify a password for the root user. Next enter “visudo” to edit the super user file. In this file find the User privilege specification section and add the user name that you assigned during the install.

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    <username> ALL=(ALL) ALL

Re-boot and login with user name that you assigned during the install. You should now have super user privileges.

For more information on setting up user privileges see:
    Allowing Limited Sudo Access With Visudo : Ubuntu Tutorials : Dapper - Edgy - Feisty - Gutsy

Ubuntu Server Has No GUI? How Do I Add A Gnome Desktop?

I like GUI’s and decided to install Gnome, and I wanted it to be a part of the primary installation rather than installed separately. Here are the commands for a few of the X-terminal installs.
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (for gnome)
    -or-
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (kde)
    -or-
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop (xfce)

After the Gnome install I wanted to allow for root user login (more on why later). This can be accomplished by opening a terminal window via Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
    Enter “sudo gdmsetup”. You will be ask for your user password (not the root password) and then the Login Window Preferences will be displayed. Select the security tab and check the “Allow local system administrator login” check box and close the window. You should now be able to login (with warnings) as root. Why a root login? Because is more “stuff” available to root than is available to the user such as the partition editor and the login windows preferences and I would rather access these from the menu rather than trying to remember the package name to type in from the terminal.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Here's additional information on the sudo vs su issue under all the *buntu distros for anyone that might be interested:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...in-ubuntu.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yacaph View Post
    Ubuntu Server Has No GUI? How Do I Add A Gnome Desktop?

I like GUI’s and decided to install Gnome, and I wanted it to be a part of the primary installation rather than installed separately. Here are the commands for a few of the X-terminal installs.
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (for gnome)
    -or-
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (kde)
    -or-
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop (xfce)
    Why install ubuntu server in the first place?
    Installing Gnome will install the entire desktop version, will it not?

Linux Newbie
    Thanx for this info I was wondering why I could not get into root. Great stuff.

Linux Newbie
    I did this after reloading the OS but now it still tells me system admin is not allowed to login from this screen.

seems strange why I cannot get a console root login to work.

I cannot creat users or modify my user id.

I can su - root.
    I did manage to vi /etc/passwd and set my gid to 0 but i still dont have root permissions to modify or add users...

Thoughts???

Linux Guru
    seems strange why I cannot get a console root login to work
    By default, the root account has no password, so you cannot log in as root.

I did manage to vi /etc/passwd and set my gid to 0 but i still dont have root permissions to modify or add users
    There is a USER named root and a GROUP named root. Becoming part of the GROUP root does NOT give you the permissions of the USER named root.

Unless you are an experienced *Nix admin, why not learn to work within the bounds of the OS you're using with su/sudo.

Linux Newbie
    Well I did assigned a password to root. I still cannot login to the console as root. I cannot do any user account administration etc. I wanted to create a user and configure the wireless but cannot with my ID as it does not have the permissions I need.
    I only made my id with the group of 0 so I could get into some of the files I needed to.

I work on AIX so I know a bit about UNIX just relatively new to Linux.

Linux Guru

Linux Newbie
    Ya i tried that ant still root wont login.

I removed the password and reset the root account. rebooted the laptop and tried to login root failed. I wanted to reset back to defaults.

sudo passwd -l root

so i booted to main mode again and reset the password and rebooted. Still cannot login as root.
    sudo passwd
    [sudo] password for username: (enter your own password)
    Enter new UNIX password: (enter a new password for root)
    Retype new UNIX password: (repeat new password for root)
    passwd: password updated successfully

This is what the document said to do.

Still wont allow root login.

Now when I login to the system as my id I get in but su - root gives me
    your account has expired please contact your system administrator

Linux Newbie
    I cannot add a user, cannot reboot without the power button..
    How do i fix the root account??? I cannot do anythign useful as my id on this system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast