Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I am new to Ubuntu and the various linux programs. What sparked my interest was last year I tried to install a Audacity program that came with a USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Ubuntu

Hi I am new to Ubuntu and the various linux programs. What sparked my interest was last year I tried to install a Audacity program that came with a USB Ion turntable I purchased. Long story short it had as many bugs as a roach motel and would not work with my windows 98 program. I then found out via web pages that Audacity works with Ubuntu.

After having my computer fried I was looked further into to Ubuntu. Now the problem I have is I ordered some discs from a dealer off of ebay and the discs did not work. I have a HP 4590 with 128 RAM and 8 GB of hard drive. It would not work as Edubuntu and Kubuntu menus would not start. Ubuntu and Xubuntu menus would pop up. The problem with most if not all is that I would get the following error.

There was an error starting the gnome settings daemon.
    Some things, such as themes, sounds or background settings may not work correctly.
    The last message was:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible casues include the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired. Or the network connection was broken.
    Gnome will still try to restart the settings daemon next time you log in.

At this point my mouse would not work and I could not click on the close button at all. Matter of fact, it took 20 or more minutes to even get to that screen.

Would I better be using a differnt Linux program such as Slackware 12? How does this effect getting an internet provider? Will Juno, PeoplePC, Earthlink use any linux programs or will I have to get Windows again?

Not a computer person and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Newone

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need at least 256MB ram to run Ubuntu off the live discs (with 384 MB being recommended). It will be dog slow, so you could be better of installing something like Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu. They use lighter GUI environments which may play along nicely with your hardware. As for internet acces most ISPs just work with Linux using typical network hardware.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. The strange thing is on the Ubuntu disc it says a requirement of 64 Ram printed.

I do have a Xubuntu disc but I guess I will have to get another one since that does not work either. I am not familiar with Fluxubuntu and will do some research on the internet and checking out some books at the library about linux.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Hey newone,

I have had good experience installing Xubuntu on a crappy old computer with 192 MB RAM. The trick is to use the alternate installation CD which can be downloaded from for free from:

Get Xubuntu | Xubuntu.org

First pick a country near you and then scroll down for "PC (Intel x86) alternate install CD" and click. The file you are downloading should be

xubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso

Then, burn to CD...

Hmm. Maybe you don't have a CD burner, thats why you were buying the CD's off the net. Well in any case getting Xubuntu is a good idea as it good for slow computers and very friendly on the user. The CD on which it is distributed is a live CD, meaning that the Linux operating system runs from the CD, without being installed to the hard disk. I guess you were getting these errors when you were running Ubuntu or Xubuntu as a live CD. From hard disk they may run better, but you need to run from CD first. However, with the alternate CD you don't boot up a full graphical operating system, and you may be able to install to your hard disk. But think before you do, as you may loose all data that is on your hard disk. 8 GB doesn't leave much space for two OS's, otherwise you could have both Win98 and Xubuntu.
    The alternate installer is a bit less user friendly, but just have it connected to your network cable and go with the defaults if you don't know which option to choose and are ok with overwrite your Windows installation (loosing everything that was on the disk).
    An additional risk is that you end up with no working operating system or no working internet and cannot come back here to ask how to fix it.

Good luck!

Daan

I've got Xubuntu installed on a laptop with 92MB RAM but it runs a bit slow. You should be able to get it to run better because you have more RAM. Another option for you is something like DSL. You could take a look here for more options. If you are going to buy an Xubuntu CD if you can get the alternate one.

Just Joined!

Thanks all

I am unable to download 1 because the service I had was waaaaaay toooo slow and due to computer malfunctions. Some one sent a message to my email and screwed up my computer to the point I could not send emails at all.

So I have to use the library computers and found a few linux books. Maybe my hp 4540 pavilion is not compatible with ubuntu as I encountered similar problems with a disc from a library book. Now a disc for koppix 4.2(I think) seems to work as I was checking it out last night. I may install that program as it works with 128 ram. Looking into slackware 12 as it does not require much Ram. Thanks a million folks and it is greatly appreciated. Heading home to watch the NBA games.

Slackware doesn't require much RAM, but it's not a very newbie friendly distro. I wouldn't advise you to install this - not unless you're very brave! Much better would be, as already said, Fluxbuntu or DSL. Personally I'd go for DSL - it'd fly on your machine.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    Any further detail on it not being newbie friendly? I have checked out Fluxbuntu and DSL and would have to order the discs since I cannot download them. It looks like it will be one or all of those and/ or Knoppix 4.0

A book had a copy of Knoppix 4.0 but I am guessing that is dated. Still attempting to study all this and thanks.

Well, I say that it isn't newbie friendly because a) it requires a certain amount of Linux-knowledge to install (you are asked lots of questions) b) It is much less 'graphical' than most other distros, meaning that you need to have a semi-decent command of the terminal and c) installing software is more difficult than with other distros because you have to manage the dependencies yourself. Having said all that, it's not beyone the scope of anyone, but it's just that I think it's an idea to be 'eased' into Linux a bit more.
    I don't advise you installing Knoppix on a hard disk at all - it's not meant for a hard disk install, and you can have trouble with the updates. You can download and burn to an iso any Linux distro you want. If you can't do that (maybe you don't have a cd burner?), why not head down to a largish kiosk and pick up a Linux magazine? There are very often CD/DVDs attached to them.

Actually, thinking about it, you can order Dsl on a CD at a very reasonable price - it's rare that you see it with a Linux magazine. You can get it from here. Unfortunately, you can't get Fluxbuntu or Xubuntu in the same way, at least not for the moment, but you might try looking around to see what other light-weight distros you can get in this way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast