Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, I am a complete newbie to the whole Ubuntu (Linux) thing, and have successfully installed my copy of Ubuntu 7.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1521. There have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another bmc43xxx problem...

Hello guys, I am a complete newbie to the whole Ubuntu (Linux) thing, and have successfully installed my copy of Ubuntu 7.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1521. There have been no problems, aside from the Wireless Card which is a member of the bmc43xx group.

I have installed NDISWrapper and NDISGTK successfully, grabbed the .info and .sys files out of the driver files from dell. They are bmcw6.info and .sys or something like that. I do not remember off the top of my head because I am at work.

When I try to run NDISGTK to install the drivers, it let's me navigate to the driver and select the .info file, and when I click install, nothing happens. The list stays blank on the left in the box, and the Restricted Drivers Window only has another driver in it, my ATI Radeon x1270 drivers...(Which I would like help on doing as well).

What else can I do to get my Wifi card to work? It is a dual boot with Vista Home Premium if that makes any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

Just Joined!
    Okay, I guess noone has any advice on how I can fix this... if there is anything else that I can do, please let me know...

Welcome to Linux and LinuxForums Trizzd.

The first thing you need is patience Regarding your issue I would suggest going with command line. Since you have already installed ndiswrapper open the terminal and move to the directory containing the windows drivers with the cd command. Then
    ndiswrapper -i filename.inf
    with
    ndiswrapper -l
    the installed drivers should be listed. Also type the output of
    Code:
    lsmod | grep bcm43xx
    to see if there are any conflicting drivers.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I didn't mean that in an insulting or condescending manner. I thought that noone knew of any other ways to do it. I believe that I have tried the command line method, although I thought I used sudo apt-get ndiswrapper, so you are having me try something else.

Thanks for the help, and I'll try that asap.