Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on an HP Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM. I've installed the Clam TK as my antivirus program, but I can't get it to update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

you must be root

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on an HP Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM. I've installed the Clam TK as my antivirus program, but I can't get it to update the antivirus definitions. When I try to run the update, it tells me "you must be root to install updates."

I googled the problem and found this:

"you must be root to install updates"
    Hi.
    i've just recently installed 7.04 on my iBook G3 and i'm dual booting it with osx 10.4.9. Generally it

seems to be running well.

I managed to install clamAv and its Gui clamtk. When I try to update the signatures in clamtk, a screen

message appears, "you must be root to install updates". I've done a search on Google and on this forum but

i could'nt find anything helpful.
    Could anyone advise me on this please.

regards Steve

----------------------------------------

Re: "you must be root to install updates"
    you may need to run it with sudo command ant type your pass, like
    sudo clamtk

then it will run as root.
    The person who wrote for help in that post said that the "sudo clamtk" worked for him. It doesn't work for me. I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to the command line. What I see is this:

tom@tom-desktop:~$
    When I type "sudo clamtk", I get:
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: at /user/bin/clamtk line 21.
    What's going on here?

Also, in general I'd like to take security out of this machine. There's absolutely no reason for it to be password protected. I want to get rid of the password when Ubuntu boots up. I also want to get rid of any password requirement to access any process. This machine is only going to be used as a juke box hooked up to my entertainment center and will not be on the Internet or any network. I'm only using antivirus right now because I'm connecting to the Internet for now as I get the machine set up and might want to download things or ask questions.

By the time I'm done, Amarok will be almost the only program on it. In fact, I want Amarok to start automatically with no passwords required. It will be the equivalent of putting Amarok in the Windows startup folder in Windows. Any member of the family should be able to boot this PC up and choose what music to play without having to put in any passwords.

I'm only using antivirus right now because I'm connecting to the Internet for now as I get the machine set up and might want to download things or ask questions.
    If you enable root login and disable password, it will open doors for everyone and you will have great security risk. I will never suggest you to do that.

You can gain root privileges for GUI application easily. Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gksu clamtk
    Does it throw any error?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Engineer
    It says it can't open display because the $DISPLAY variable is not set. The program you are trying to run is an X program, and without $DISPLAY it doesn't know where the X server is to run it. Instead of dropping to console, open up an xterm or some sort of X terminal and try it. The X terminals will have $DISPLAY set and you won't have to worry about that. Or if you really want to drop to the console just to switch back to X again to use the program, you could try setting DISPLAY to :0.0 :
    Code:
    DISPLAY=:0.0 sudo -b clamtk

I'm only using antivirus right now because I'm connecting to the Internet for now as I get the machine set up and might want to download things or ask questions.
    Forget about the anti-virus - you don't need it, this is Linux, not Windows! It is very, very unlikely that you will ever get a virus in Linux (because the system is password protected and the software you install usually comes from official servers maintained and kept up to date by the people responsible for your distribution.) Of course, this doesn't mean that it's impossible, but it's an extremely small risk. one of the great pleasures of this OS is being able to surf securly without having a whopping big application turning away in the backround, sapping half your RAM. Where viruses can be an issue is when you're sharing data between a Linux and a Windows machine. For example, if you open an attachment that contains a virus, your Linux machine won't be affected, but the Windows machine you pass the file onto might be.

For the record, I do have an anti-virus that I run from time to time just to check, meaning very rarely. I have never, ever, ever had a virus nor even spyware in Linux, despite intenisve Internet use, downloading and the total absence of an anti-virus application chugging away while I'm on the net.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT