Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have WinPro and then installed Ver.7.10 to dual boot. Worked perfectly. But as a newbie to Linux I messed about and somehow corrupted Ubuntu. I think it happened by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] corrupt ubuntu

I have WinPro and then installed Ver.7.10 to dual boot. Worked perfectly. But as a newbie to Linux I messed about and somehow corrupted Ubuntu. I think it happened by playing around with files including /etc/apt/sources.list. Now still boots to Ubuntu but opens a terminal puts a white screen which cannot be written to. Booting to recovery puts me in root but does not recognize my original password! Using startx goes to the Gnome screen but everything is frozen!
    Anyway I still want to eventually get rid of Windows after I feel I have mastered Ubuntu. So await delivery of the new Ver. 8 disc any day now. Do I have to uninstall the corrupted Ver. 7 or will Ver.8 install over it without picking up the problem I may have caused? And will the old Grub remain so a good dual boot remains? If not how do I uninstall Ver 7 and keep the partitioning to install the new Ver.8 as a dual boot?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnorman View Post
    Anyway I still want to eventually get rid of Windows after I feel I have mastered Ubuntu. So await delivery of the new Ver. 8 disc any day now. Do I have to uninstall the corrupted Ver. 7 or will Ver.8 install over it without picking up the problem I may have caused? And will the old Grub remain so a good dual boot remains? If not how do I uninstall Ver 7 and keep the partitioning to install the new Ver.8 as a dual boot?
    You actually have several options with Ubuntu version 8.04. You can either do a clean install of version 8 over version 7 (tell the installer to use existing Linux partitions) or you can simply delete the Ubuntu partitions all together, fix your Windows boot record and install Ubuntu verison 8 using Wubi.

The advantage in your case to using Wubi is that it will allow you to install Ubuntu on your existing Windows partition and get used to using it without having to repartition the drive at all. When you want to get rid of it (or if you screw something up by playing around, I've done it many times myself) you can just uninstall Ubuntu using the Windows Add/Remove Programs menu.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Many thanks.
    First I will download Wubi.
    Then I will await the pending arrival of the Ver.8 disc and then carry on.
    I will use a WinXP pro OEM recovery disc to repair Windows.
    I will type fdisk /mbr at the DOS prompt instead of fixmbr.
    Guess this will do the trick

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnorman View Post
    Many thanks.
    First I will download Wubi.
    Then I will await the pending arrival of the Ver.8 disc and then carry on.
    Sorry, I should have specified: Wubi is a program that comes on the Version 8 CD itself. I don't believe you can download it separately. To run Wubi, boot into MS Windows and pop in the Ubuntu 8 CD. It will auto-run and pop up a menu that will give you the option to install Ubuntu using Wubi.

I will use a WinXP pro OEM recovery disc to repair Windows.
    I will type fdisk /mbr at the DOS prompt instead of fixmbr.
    Guess this will do the trick
    Either one should work.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Wubi is a download from their site. I have done so but need to wait for the new Ver.8 disc before going ahead. Will let you know how things go thereafter.

Just Joined!
    Wubi can be downloaded from their site. I have done so. Now await delivery of the Ver.8 disc before going ahead. I appreciate your help and will advise you of final outcome.

Just Joined!
    Found an easier way to get my problem solved.
    Deleted the corrupt ubuntu from the partition where it was loaded.
    Reinstalled 7 again.
    Found that it could upgrade on the net to 8 so went ahead.
    Slow DSL herein S.Africa (approx 45kb/sec) took abt 3 hrs.
    8 now installed.
    Downloaded all programs required by me.
    Now dual boot and grub work fine business.
    Thanks anyway for your interest