Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello this is in regards I want to change the type of my filesystem from ext3 to NTFS. I have tried several programs and my problem I keep running into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Format to NTFS

Hello this is in regards I want to change the type of my filesystem from ext3 to NTFS. I have tried several programs and my problem I keep running into is when I go into gnome partition editor it doesn't allow me to unmount it at all. Any help on this would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by siju0602 View Post
    Hello this is in regards I want to change the type of my filesystem from ext3 to NTFS. I have tried several programs and my problem I keep running into is when I go into gnome partition editor it doesn't allow me to unmount it at all. Any help on this would be much appreciated
    You should be able to do this using PartedMagic ... but if you format the partition you will loose all data on it, if the partition has Linux on it you will also loose Linux. It sounds like you are trying to reformat either a root or home partition which will break Linux. You can not install Linux to an NTFS partition.