Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 Occasionally on Internet browsing I was requested to download and install RealPlayer. However I can't find 64bit RealPlayer. Can I install "mplayer" instead? It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Where can I download 64bit RealPlayer

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64

Occasionally on Internet browsing I was requested to download and install RealPlayer. However I can't find 64bit RealPlayer. Can I install "mplayer" instead? It is on repo. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaljaz View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice and URL.

Whether you meant;
    Nightly RealPlayer 64-bit builds in Hardy
    ???

B.R.
    satimis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you decide to install mplayer and are running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu, I think you can replace w32codecs with w64codecs and be okay.

Or

you can read this and make a decision (taken from another forum/post):

The first way is to use 64bit firefox and nspluginwrapper, which enables the usage of 32bit plugins like Flash in a 64bit browser. However my experience is that newer versions of Flash don't play well with nspuginwrapper, and it just ends up eating RAM until it segfaults unceremonesly.
    The other alternative that I use is to simply install a 32bit version of Firefox on your 64bit distro. You need a proper multilib distro for this (like Fedora, (U/Ku/Xu/Flux)buntu(Studio/Christian Edition/Muslim Edition) or Debian) and that will enable you tuse use 32bit firefox. It's no slower than the 64bit version, but Flash and other plugins like Real Player (if that's your cup of tea) work perfectly. Plus you still get the benefits of 64bit stuff with other more intensive apps.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaljaz View Post
    If you decide to install mplayer and are running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu, I think you can replace w32codecs with w64codecs and be okay.
    Thanks for your advice.

I read a warning before installing mplayer that the 64bit version is unstable. Therefore I stopped to proceed. Because this is a server. I only browse Internet occasionally.

Or

you can read this and make a decision (taken from another forum/post):

The first way is to use 64bit firefox and nspluginwrapper, which enables the usage of 32bit plugins like Flash in a 64bit browser. However my experience is that newer versions of Flash don't play well with nspuginwrapper, and it just ends up eating RAM until it segfaults unceremonesly.
    The other alternative that I use is to simply install a 32bit version of Firefox on your 64bit distro. You need a proper multilib distro for this (like Fedora, (U/Ku/Xu/Flux)buntu(Studio/Christian Edition/Muslim Edition) or Debian) and that will enable you tuse use 32bit firefox. It's no slower than the 64bit version, but Flash and other plugins like Real Player (if that's your cup of tea) work perfectly. Plus you still get the benefits of 64bit stuff with other more intensive apps.
    Noted with thanks.

B.R.
    satimis