Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, Here is the problem. I got my computer from a family member. I tried Ubuntu 8.04 and it worked very well from the CD. Then I installed it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing Ubuntu with XP

Hello,
    Here is the problem. I got my computer from a family member. I tried Ubuntu 8.04 and it worked very well from the CD. Then I installed it and did not care about XP because there was already trouble with XP. Then Ubuntu worked very well and I have fun with it.
    The next day I re-installed XP. I did 2 partitions so I could then install Ubuntu. Then XP is installed again. I formated the second partition which is 20G.
    I started the CD under windows and it asked to install it under windows. I did this but when I go into starting nothing and it shows an error. Then I removed it. I went in booting with the CD. Then nothing happened and it bugged at one point and nothing else happened. I see the background of ubuntu but nothing gets install. It does not ask for which partition to use. Then after 40 minutes, I shut off the computer and started again from windows.
    1. I know the CD is good because I used it.
    2. I re-install XP which is good now and all of the updates for it.
    3. I tried to re-install Ubuntu but nothing. I did this from windows and starting directly from the CD but ????? nothing gets installed.

Help please !!!!! what am I doing wrong or what steps am I not doing?

Thanks a lot.

Manu

It sounds as though the windows based installer is not working on your system for some reason. When you managed to get Ubuntu to install last time did you boot from the CD?
    Can you boot from the CD and post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and let us know where you are trying to install Ubuntu to.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.
    The last time I installed it, it was from the CD. I shut off the system and started from the CD and click on Install Ubuntu and then it did the work.
    Now I tried to boot from the CD. It does start but after a while nothing. So I was thinking that it may take some time and let it go for almost an hour. It did not do that the first time.
    I am trying to install it on the second partition. The Hard drive is only 40G. I put XP on 15 and the other partition is 25G. So there is plenty of space.
    You ask me to post an OutPut. I don't know how to do this. I start the CD and I am supposed to get a report of some kind???

Thanks for your assistance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do you have the live CD or alternate CD?
    Did you enter any boot options last time you got the CD to work and have you entered the same options this time?
    If the system will not boot from the CD but did before it sounds as though the CD may have been damaged ... can you try it in another machine to check it is still OK?
    Is the system freezing when you have selected an install or just when you try to boot?

Linux will need at least two partitions:-
    a swap partition (usually quite small - 2xRAM upto 1GB)
    a root partition which should be formatted ext3

The installer will allow you to create these partitions or select them if they already exist.

Just Joined!
    Ok.
    1. I check the CD and it is all good. No errors, no problems were detected on the CD
    2. I downloaded Ubuntu and burned it on a CD. So I hope it answers the question regarding live CD or something else.
    3. I entered the same often this time which was to install Ubuntu directly.
    4. It did not freeze at the beginning. It went on downloading everything and checking stuff (don't remember the name of it). and it went on downloading stuff. At one point nothing was happening. WHen I install it the first time, it did this too for about 5 minutes and the CD started again. Here after 40 minutes, it still did not start. I even went out for 1 hour and a half and the same things was on the screen and nothing new.
    5. Regarding the Swap and the other, the computer did it by itself last time. Here when it was installing, I saw also at some point that it was doing it.

Basically I think - from my observation - that it did everything and at some point something goes wrong toward the end of the installation or not sure????

Thanks.
    Manu

If you have not requested the alternate CD then you will have the live CD. If you boot from it - press F6 for other boot options and then remove the words quiet and splash from the end of the line at the bottom of the screen (arrow and backspace keys can be used for this), this will display text rather than a splash screen during boot and shutdown ... which gives you the best chance of spotting error messages.
    Once Ubuntu has booted from the CD go to applications->accessories->terminal and then run
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and post the output ... we can check disk partition structure.
    After you have done this you can double click the install icon
    select language, location, keyboard layout to suit when preparing the disk select manual ... you should be able to set root partition from the previous install attempt (it will be an ext3 partition) ... probably better to see the output of fdisk command before giving further advice on partition selection.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, this was the problem with the Ext3. In the afternoon I used MAGIC PRO 8.0 and set it up as Ext3. I then did what you said and install it using the CD. This works perfectly now.
    As I am new to Linux, I am learning from it. This is great, I like it. Now the next thing is how I download things because this is different than windows and I am having some trouble with this. Like Amsn, ????? There are many files and I don't really understand what I have to do. After that when I have downloaded them, how do I install them because windows does it by itself but it looks like Ubuntu doesn't. So this is another thing I have to find out?????
    Again I really appreciate you help and I think this trouble is handled regarding installing Ubuntu. Thanks

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Installation in Linux is very different to installation in Windows, it is actually one
    of the biggest adjustments a Windows user has to make.

Normally, there is no need to download and install software over the internet. It
    will mostly be in the repositories. I believe Ubuntu has over 16,000 items of
    software and libraries in its repos.

So, how do you install?

The GUI way is the simplest for a beginner so I will take you through installing
    aMSN. At the same time I will install it on my computer so I can be detailed.

Open Synaptic Package Manager (System->Administration)
    Select Settings->Repositories
    Make sure all the items are ticked in the Ubuntu Software tab
    Make sure all the items are ticked in the Third Party Software tab
    Click Close and again on the message box.
    Click the reload button and give it a few minutes. This will pull in the software
    lists from the repos you have specifed.

From this point on, the process will be same for all software.

Search for amsn.
    Click on the amsn result and select mark for installation.
    Synaptic may show you some additional packages that are required. If it does
    you will need to install them to run the software.
    Click mark to accept the additional items
    Click apply.

There you go installation 101.

Hope it helps.

I'm off to uninstall amsn
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    Check this link, it has other links with additional info:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ntu-lunux.html

If you plan to use ubuntu, you should become familiar w/ubuntu forums:
    Ubuntu Forums

Glad to hear your Ubuntu install issue has been resolved. As the above posts from both elija and yancek indicate installing in Linux is quite different to Windows - you can also look here. Stick with the package manager - synaptic in Ubuntu and you should be OK (although the package manager is apt-get the GUI front end synaptic will allow you to perform most tasks). Only stray from using the package manager for your distro when you really need to ... which is not very often at all. The Ubuntu website is also a great source of information - you'll find how to and lots of other info as well. Start a new thread if you have new issues ... and enjoy your new Ubuntu Linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast