Find the answer to your Linux question:
With the assumption I can get video to work at all, is it possible to run 2 1680x1050 generic LCD monitors in Ubuntu. I need to talk to the one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Head - Hardy Ubuntu

With the assumption I can get video to work at all, is it possible to run 2 1680x1050 generic LCD monitors in Ubuntu. I need to talk to the one or two persons who have ever achieved such a feat.

Thanks,
    Old Martian

Just Joined!
    I cant see why not, I have never tried to run that resolution but if your monitors supports it then yeah it should be fine. But if your meaning can it run multiple monitors then yeah, I run 4 from two nvidia graphics cards which all run 1280x1024 two "17 two "19 LCDs on 8.04 which all runs fine.

I'm trying to do that now. I installed an nvidia 8800 GTX video card and I have two 24" wide screen dell lcd's connected to it now. I have the nvidia-glx installed and everything works great even my compiz-fusion and americas army. I just can't seem to get the other monitor to work. I'm aware that I have to edit some stuff in xorg.conf and I also read something about nvidia twinview.. How did you go about it? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    One of the problems with getting old and fighting a battle with your computer, is that when you finally win, you move on and forget the battle.

...And I've reinstalled Windows and changed all my hard drives around that I haven't got back to Linux. Currently I can't get back into Ubuntu because I changed drive letters for the WUBI install. If I can figure out that, I'll be back where I left off.

The solution had to do with un-installing any "Ubuntu installs" drivers and having the installer look for proprietary drivers and getting nVidia's updated drivers. If I recall one nVidia download file gets all the linux drivers (I have a GrForce 7600 board and you have an 8800 board) for all the "recent" hi-end cards. I forgot how I implemented the software. It seems I fell into it by normal driver properties or maybe it was configuring the graphics resolution that I found something "nVidia" to click on. I did not have to configure the xorg.conf file or whatever that file was named. I was thankful for that but I did gain some understanding of that file.

I hate getting old, because I used to be able to remember this stuff!

When I get back to playing with Linux I'll drop you a post, but I hope you solve it by then.

Oh, one thing -- I remember after all the smoke had cleared, changing the configuration (dual monitor, clone monitors, etc.) was no more difficult to configure than it is in Windows. No "smoke and mirrors" after all.

Sorry I can't do better. Even if I could fire up Ubuntu right now I'm not sure I could re-discover what I did to get it to work.

OM

Never mind I figured it out. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be heh.