Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I looked around and couldn't find an answer to my issue. My current setup is as follows: One old Matrox PCI VGA card -connected to a Dell 1702FP 17" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Dual-(Triple?)-Head Kubuntu 8.04

Okay, I looked around and couldn't find an answer to my issue.

My current setup is as follows:
    One old Matrox PCI VGA card
    -connected to a Dell 1702FP 17" LCD (1280x1024, 24-bit)

One relatively less-old Geforce 440 MX with DVI- and VGA-out.
    -DVI connects to a Westinghouse LCM 19v7 19" LCD (1280x1024 32-bit)
    -VGA connects to a Westinghouse 27" HDTV (1366x768 32-bit)

Works perfectly in XP. I cannot get it to work in (K)ubuntu, though I seem to have more success with KDE (possibly because I'm more familiar with it than Gnome).

It seems that whenever I enable both screens on the nVidia card, I get digital gibberish on both screens. I can fix this by resetting the X-Server through the recovery tool.

Whenever I give up on the 27" (though I'd rather not, as I like to use it to watch downloaded/ripped video) and try to use only the other two screens, my settings don't apply, and the 19" on the nVidia DVI connection won't go above 800x600 (though at least it shows something along with the 17" on the old cheapie card).

I've tried using EnvyNG, but it seems not to have any effect.

I'm kind of stuck here and contemplating aborting this experiment and freeing up some needed hard drive space for my XP installation. I had questions answered by the fine folks here a few years ago when I last had a Linux installation on one of my PCs, so I decided to come back and give it another go. Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, things seem a little smoother since setting the AGP card to be the default over the PCI in the BIOS. System Settings now reports 1280x1024 on both 4:3 screens when I go to check, though I find that the 17" Dell screen is really at 1152x864, while the 19" on the GeForce is at 1024x768.
    I still can't get anything to work when I try to use both screens on the AGP (GeForce) card, or if I enable the 27" at all. Progress, I suppose, but disappointing still.

Just Joined!
    Nobody?

you should be able to do this, have you installed the proprietary nvidia driver?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've tried a couple drivers... whatever one Envy uses, I've used the legacy, and the proprietary one (I assume, anyway, it's the one I've got to enable after a warning about non-open source drivers, right?).

I wouldn't use envy to install the drivers, its kind of old now, and its just as simple to install it from the package manager. Uninstall whatever was installed with envy and install the nvidia-glx-legacy package, this works best in most cases. You will probably have to manually edit the xorg.conf file later to change the driver to "nvidia" for the device sections corresponding to that card.

Just Joined!
    I used the "Hardware Drivers Manager" and downloaded and installed the nVidia driver. It shows "in use" now.

If this fails, what do I edit xorg.conf so that I can have two screens displaying at 1280x1024? I did manage to get them both working at 1024x768 (I'm giving up on the HDTV for now...I actually have a new one here that's replaced the old and needs the DVI) on the VGA ports.

you should be able to use the nvidia application to manipulate the resolutions of the screens hooked up to that card

run this from terminal
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    if it is not installed
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

Just Joined!
    Cool, that works nhicely for the 19" screen (before I'd have a scrolling screen), haven't tried enabling the HDTV yet. The extra monitor on the Matrox PCI card isn't working now, though.

I think Kubunto might not be the OS for my work PC, but I'm still considering it for other PCs in the house (Jukeboxes, basically). I'll keep playing with things, but not having the extra screen puts quite a bit of a damper on things.

Just Joined!
    Hey, magic! I had some trouble with titlebars disappearing for some reason, so I decided to boot in recovery mode. Kubuntu decided it wanted to do some updates, so I figured what the hell. Now I'm at -19, and my 19" LCD and 42" HDTV are working on my nVidia card

The 17" Dell on the Matrox card is blank, but I can live with that for the time being. Now that I know I can get this working, I will keep Kubuntu. It should work great as a media/HTPC for family access with VLC.