Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Press Alt+Ctrl+F1. It will switch to command line mode. Log in there and execute this to edit xorg.conf file : Code: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Press Alt+Ctrl+F1. It will switch to command line mode. Log in there and execute this to edit xorg.conf file :
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks Devils Casper - I will try it out the first chance I get.

You can't use gedit in safe mode. Try nano:

Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Once you've edited the file with nano, press control x to exit, then y to confirm the file name, then enter. It would be very handy if you could post your xorg.conf file here so we can check it.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Funny, I didn't see the later posts where you already told him to do this, DC.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    i have the exact same thing but my vista totally freezes

ayansempai - with Vista it could well be a graphics card driver problem. Get the latest Vista driver from the manufacturer's site.
    You should be able to start Vista in 'Safe mode' by hitting F8 when you see the first Windows logo. Then load the new driver in Control Panel/System/Hardware.
    Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    use "pico"

Screen freeze and apps update failing

I've been away for a while and feel I need to start afresh with the problem I have with Ubuntu 8.04.
    Being new to Linux I'd appreciate any help with two problems I haven't managed to get cleared up yet.
    The first is that my screen freezes randomly although the mouse still moves but, system won't respond. I suspect the video driver for my Nvidia GeForce 7300 PCI-e graphics card.
    The second is when trying to reload the list of available applications I click the reload button which shows the Download package information window progress but, every time after about 70-something percent it just seems to stop and sit there. I have to eventually cancel the operation. Any ideas??
    I tried the applications updates again this morning and there seems to be a connection problem today as follows 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com:80(194.169.254.10). - connect (113 No route to host)'.
    The above is shown with variations in the files that are being searched for shown before the server address. I obviously have a connection to the outside world or I wouldn't be able to post this thread, etc so can't see that it is a problem at my end. However, usually the search for updates just stalls eventually as I said previously.
    Please remember I am new to Linux and not familiar with all the jargon.
    Thanks for any help.

Hi and thanks for the info Devil's Casper but, when I tried this I got as far as accepting to download the installation files needed and a message appeared that said something about having no route to the host. I did copy the text but, when I tried the right click to paste it into this text box the paste option was not on the menu list. I went to the Tomboy Notes application to try and paste the copied text message into a new note and the system froze again. Unfortunately, I have had to come back to Windows to get some work done and took the opportunity to send this further request for help. Thanks for your patience. I will be good to crack this screen freeze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2