Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to make a new partition, set the mount point to /home after install? Will I have to move the files or will they automatically?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Separate /home after install

Is it possible to make a new partition, set the mount point to /home after install?

Will I have to move the files or will they automatically?
    "When you have nothing to say, say nothing."

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Its possible, but you will have to move any existing directories on the old /home to the new /home manually.

Linux User
    Which's reliable:

1. Make new partition, move files there, delete old home, mount new home?
    2. Make new partition, mount new home, copy files there?

Make a new partition, move files to partition using cp -a command. Edit /etc/fstab file and add an entry for new /home partition. Reboot machine. New /home partition will be mounted.
    Make sure to use -a option with cp command. Its for preserving permissions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    Either of the -r and -a option do not copy symbolic links. There are a lot of these links in Themes, .whatever (preferencs) folders, so I cannot copy them. Any way I can mount a folder on a partition as /home? I have lot of space on a drive which I want to utilise. I do not want to break the partition.

I think cp -a should copy links as well, I just tried it and it worked for me. You can cp the information and then modify /etc/fstab to mount /home to the partition and test things work correctly. There is no need to remove the /home information on your root partition unless you are short of space.
    Did you try doing the cp and mounting the partition to /home to check the links?

cp -a command works fine for perserving permissions and symlinks. Do not remove /home folder under root ( / ) before tesing /home partition as suggested by Jonathan183.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First