Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I'd like to first of all point out I'm a newbie at Linux (installed it last night) so everything is different from Windows, obviously, but I'm getting the hang ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox/Flash has no sound for my headset?

Hello. I'd like to first of all point out I'm a newbie at Linux (installed it last night) so everything is different from Windows, obviously, but I'm getting the hang of it. My problem is that when I'm watching a flash video, the sound comes out of my speakers and not my headset. The headset is plugged into a USB slot. Is there a fix to this? Thanks

Hi Lil Jimmy and welcome to the forums. I might not be able to tell you in an exact way how to solve your problem, but I can sure give you insight into it.

I have a Logitech USB headset (which includes) microphone, and when running anything from Firefox, I cannot hear sound through the headset. The reason for this (at least in my case) is that the USB headset is detected as a separate sound device just like your sound card is. Firefox is using your sound card in your computer as the default device. That's why you can hear sound through your speakers. You have to set the headset as the default sound device in order to hear Firefox sounds through them.

To do this, open gmix (under sound in your menu). Click on "file" and "Change device." Then choose your headset from the choice(s) given. Save, close and restart Firefox. If you are using a similar headset to mine, that should get you Firefox sound through your headset.

EDIT: Okay, I just tried what I said here on my Ubuntu machine and cannot get sound from Firefox either. That's weird because I could have sworn this is what I did to get Firefox sound when I was running BLAG (FC 7). I'll look into it some more.

EDIT 2: I got mine working. Here's what I did:

Open a terminal and type in:
    Code:
    asoundconf list
    When I did this, this is what I got returned:
    Code:
    ICH5
    Headset
    So now, I need to make "Headset," the default sound device:
    Code:
     asoundconf set-default-card Headset
    I re-opened Firefox, and could then listen to YouTube videos on my Logitech headset. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 06-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for trying, but it didn't work. I also tried using Opera and the same thing was happening.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Don't give up so easy! lol...

What part of it that you tried didn't work? Did yo have your headset listed there when you did asoundconf list? when it is plugged in, do you see it as a separate device in gmix? What type of headphones are these? Tell me more about what you did and if you recieved any errors.

Just Joined!
    My headset was listed when I did asoundconf list; I do see it as a seperate device in gmix; Logitech USB headset (fairly basic); I did exactly as you said and I encountered no errors.

And you did:
    Code:
    asoundconf set-default-card Headset
    ?
    Maybe try that as sudo too:
    Code:
    sudo asoundconf set-default-card Headset
    Did you choose your Logitech headset as the default device from gmix instead of just finding it listed there? Then restarted Firefox? If it worked for me, there is no reason it shouldn't work for you.

EDIT: Have a look at this: Link

Just Joined!
    Nope =/ still not working.

Just Joined!
    bump!

i'm having the same problem. Firefox/Flash audio works fine (with speakers). Headset audio works fine. But the headset won't play audio from Firefox/Flash ... it's so bizarre.

I tried changing the default device ... etc etc.

Just Joined!
    btw - this works fine for me on all of my 32-bit machines ... it only doesn't work on my 64-bit machine. guessing it's a weird 64-bit flash issue?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by remitaylor View Post
    btw - this works fine for me on all of my 32-bit machines ... it only doesn't work on my 64-bit machine. guessing it's a weird 64-bit flash issue?
    Flash isn't supported for 64-bit systems as of yet:

Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems

Here's an Ubuntu thread explaining how to use it with nspluginwrapper:

[all variants] Flash 9 install script for AMD64 (nspluginwrapper) - Ubuntu Forums
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast