Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi all, i updated my ubuntu some 30 or 40 minutes before, as i set check for updates weekly and today the update icon appears on top panel. i allowed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down Blank screen after updates

hi all,

i updated my ubuntu some 30 or 40 minutes before, as i set check for updates weekly and today the update icon appears on top panel. i allowed them to install by default and it went fine. it prompts me to restart machine and i did so. after restarting as usual it asked for username and password to login and after credentials are given "instead of desktop" i got a white blank screen and i waited for a while but nothing turned up. what i did is again restarted my PC and same condition still. i restarted manually for 2nd time and in boot prompt i selected "Ubuntu" and countdown starts. I pressed "Esc" this time (not previously) and i found the following:

1. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 19 (generic)
    2. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 19(recovery)
    3. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 18 (generic)
    4. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 18(recovery)
    5. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 16 (generic)
    6. Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 16(recovery)

Now what i did is i selected 3rd option from above "Ubuntu 8.04; Kernel 2.6.xx - 18 (generic)" and it works fine and landed to desktop. May i know what is wrong with it? also please tell me whether i have updated any wrong things in my PC (as am 30 days old to linux - ubuntu). Please tell me do i have to remove that "19" in kernel from my PC, if so what is the procedure. Also instruct me how to work with this updates while updating packages. Thanks in advance. Please help me.

It looks like you have Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card. You have to re-install Proprietary driver on every Kernel Upgrade. Updater has installed new kernel and you have to install driver again.

Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

hi casper,

i ran "lspci" (since i dunno about full details reg graphics card) and following is the o/p:

00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Xpress 200 Host Bridge (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
    00:11.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller (rev 80)
    00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller (rev 80)
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 81)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller (rev 80)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    Last edited by mailtwogopal; 06-25-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]
    You have ATI Card and you have to re-install its driver. How did you install ATI driver last time, I mean, after fresh installation

hi casper,

i did it thru System - Administration - Hardware drivers and a check box unchecked by default indicating ATI XXX. I checked that box and i installed. i remember this is the only way i installed. is it better to uninstall 19 of kernel, if so how to do it?
    Last edited by mailtwogopal; 06-25-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: missed

Ok ! You have to do the same again. Select latest kernel option in GRUB Menu and press Alt+Ctrl+F1 at Login Screen. It will drop you at command line prompt. Login there and execute this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Select ati or radeon in Drivers list and press Alt+Ctrl+F7. Ubuntu will switch back to GUI. Login there and re-install Driver. Make sure to select latest kernel in GRUB Menu.

hi casper,

i did so and i could not see options related to graphics drivers list. it only asks about keyboard layout again and again and atlast warned "overwriting may.............." and came to command prompt. after this is done i pressed "Ctrl+alt+F7" and logged in and i landed to blank screen. even i tried to login using kernel:18 and it also landed to a white blank screen. now i could not see ubuntu desktop at any version of kernel. please help. am curious and thrilling. thanks in advance. i am posting it now thru booting windows. please help me.
    Last edited by mailtwogopal; 06-25-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: missed some content

Select earlier version of Kernel in GRUB Menu, press Alt+Ctrl+F1 again.
    Execute this
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"ATI Graphics Card xxxx"
    	Driver		"ati"
    EndSection
    Set Driver "ati" in Video Driver section.
    Video Driver section could be different in your xorg.conf file.

Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file. Log out and press Alt+Ctrl+F7.

hi casper,

tell me onething, after executing "sudo nano...." do i have to manually enter the code you gave:

if so do i have to enter "ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]" in the place of "XXXX" and to follow the instructions u gave. please clarify.

You dont have to enter complete code. Just look for Video Card section and add Driver "ati" line if there isn't any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast