Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everybody, I just installed Ubuntu for the first time a few days ago on a computer that used to have Windows. Whenever I turn my computer on, I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu isn't detecting my graphics card correctly... I think[updated 7/6 5:47GMT]

Hello Everybody,

I just installed Ubuntu for the first time a few days ago on a computer that used to have Windows.

Whenever I turn my computer on, I get a message that I'm running in "Low Graphics Mode" because my Video card or Monitor wasn't properly detected.

I checked with eMachines, the settings for the monitor are being detected correctly,
    so it's gotta be my video card.

Thing is, my motherboard came with an S3 Graphics Unichrome Pro Integrated Graphics Core.
    Based on that impressive name, I don't think the guy who built this computer for me would have put in a separate graphics card (sadly, he only uses windows...).

I've gone through the entire list on the manual configuration screen and none seemed to work.

The "VESA- Generic VESA-compliant video card" and "Unichrome" drivers were the only ones to give me an option to use them, but the way the display went all gray when I clicked test makes me think that would just make this harder to solve if I used them.

does anyone know what else I can do?

Here's a link to what my motherboard is, if that helps. . . though I haven't been able to understand any of it except I doubt
    MSI Computer Corp. - Product
    Last edited by Beep; 07-06-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Nobody has responded yet, but I had more to say... I'm not sure what the general opinion for double posting is here...