Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good Day to everyone. Is it just me or due the discriptions of apps generally stink? I've been spending some (too much) time researching the available apps to convert .ogg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

.ogg to .mp3 and/or .wma

Good Day to everyone.

Is it just me or due the discriptions of apps generally stink?

I've been spending some (too much) time researching the available apps to convert .ogg audio files to something useful.

While I understand that the .ogg format is open source and a fine method, it is doing me no good for sending audio files to friends and family or copying files to disk to then be played on something other than a Linux computer.

I looked at man sound-juicer and learned there are some plugins available. Can someone tell me about these plugins- where to find them and how best to install them?

What are you using for this type of work? Is Sound Juicer an okay tool, or would you recommend some other method of ripping, saving and burning audio files to .mp3 and .wma?

Thank you for your opinions, advice and help.

Just Joined!
    I've always used sox. It's a command line tool and very fast.

I use .ogg files every single day in broadcast communications so they are very useful for me. Besides, they sound better too. When clients with Windows don't know how to listen to .ogg files, (which is almost always), I convert .ogg to .mp3 or .wav with Audacity.

EDIT: Tell your Windows friends to download the .ogg plugin for WMP here. Then, they can listen to them.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-08-2008 at 02:07 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Thank you both for the replies. I'll give Sox a look, for sure. But as far as Audacity goes, I had looked at it a while back and found it rather intimidating. Dan, in your work I imagine it's a great tool, but it's many, many features are overwhelming me.

Incidentally, the link was also excellent. Until I can convert the audio files before sending them, at least my folks can make use of them at the computer.

this is not recommended as it is converting a non cd quality format to another non cd format quality....I'm a bit of an audiophile and I just would rerip the cd's as mp3's.....they'll sound a lot clearer that way.

I appreciate the input, Jmadero, but can you suggest an alternative? I've been slow to add a mess of apps to this new install 'cause I'm still feeling my way around in unfamiliar waters.
    As to the ripping; by default, I was/am getting everything in .ogg, which is essentially useless to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand that technically it's a superb alternative to MP3. The problem is, I'm the only one within my group of family and friends using Ubuntu, hence .ogg files.
    Especially as an audiophile, you are certain to realize the limited (as in non-existing) use of .ogg in commercial players, etc., and the consequential need to re-format these files to a readily usable format. Were I simply retaining the files on my 'puter for personal use, I'd have no problem with .ogg at all- It does sound great. But actually, even taking music out to the truck is a headache when I've got to make sure I haven't grabbed a handful of .ogg discs by mistake.

Off the subject, I was out in the San Fernando Valley from '78 thru '90.

I actually rip everything to mp3 not to ogg for the very reasons what you are saying (limited use outside of a bunut box).

There are a few how to's online, I forget which one I used but here is one:

How to Rip MP3 using Sound Juicer (Ubuntu Tips) : mypapit gnu/linux blog

Hope that helps

Many Thanks

A tremendous help.
    It took less than 5 minutes to find and install the gstream files and then set up sound juicer. Immediately thereafter I successfully ripped and burned playable music.
    I appreciate your help!