Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm getting VERY inconsistent results with Ndis. I finally had it up and running but then had to reinstall Hardy. Now I try following the exact same instructions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] ndis and Hardy :(

Hi All,

I'm getting VERY inconsistent results with Ndis. I finally had it up and running but then had to reinstall Hardy. Now I try following the exact same instructions that I followed before and I can't get ndis to work right. Here is a link to the instructions:

BCM43xx Ndiswrapper in Hardy Linux and Free Software

The driver is detected but I can't get any wireless at all (can't see networks, it doesn't even have wireless in my network options when I try manually configuring).

Like I said, these are the same instructions that I used to get it to work this time....before it didn't work and I had to do it about 5 times (I changed a few things along the way so not exactly sure what got it to work). I want ndis because I can get a 54 mb/s connection instead of the 1mb/s that is with the native driver.

Please help

Thanks!

Linux Newbie
    What wireless card are you using, I just tried this with a bcm4312 and it works fine, I must say that the native driver always worked fine for me although it did tell lies about connection speed.

I have the Dell 1490 wireless card. I have read elsewhere that the native drivers (at least for this broadcom chipset) are significantly slower than ndis....this is why I tried ndis out and I was surprised at the difference in speed (as well as signal strength which I thought was odd). I know that the instructions work as I've used them before....but now they just aren't cooperating (last time I used the instructions I had the same issue and had luck in my 4-5th try...). I know I'm following them exactly which makes it really odd Any suggestions?

solved

for anyone else having the problem:

last step of instructions add this to rc.local instead of what it says to add:

modprobe -r b44
    modprobe -r ssb
    modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    modprobe ssb
    modprobe b44

This solved the problem