Find the answer to your Linux question:
I took a chance and ordered stuff off of Newegg without knowing if anything would work, knowing the risks I suppose. It's up and running, but the video looks crap ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with on board video and NIC

I took a chance and ordered stuff off of Newegg without knowing if anything would work, knowing the risks I suppose. It's up and running, but the video looks crap as it won't recognize the true resolution of the screen, and it would seem that the network card isn't being picked up either.

Here's the hardware:

Biostar TA780G M2+

Chipset: AMD 780G
    AMD SB700

Graphics: Integrated in AMD chipset

LAN: Realtek RTL 8111C

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy, not ready for Hardy har har yet.

While I'd probably be better off just getting an new ATI card, as well as a new NIC, I'd like to know if it's possible for my current stuff to work ? I have no idea however, as to how to go about fixing any of it. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Execute this
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    First output says 01: 05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9610

Second output says

Driver "kbd"
    "" "mouse"
    "" "wacom"
    same
    same
    "" "vesa"

I of course subbed with "" marks for similar items.

And thats all she wrote.

Doug

ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9610
    Ubuntu is using Generic vesa driver and you have to install ATI Proprietary Driver.
    Look for Hardware Manager in Menu and install driver through it.

* Hardware Manager is available in latest version of Ubuntu, 8.04 and I am not sure if it available in 7.10 or not. In case, Hardware Manager is not there, download driver from ATI site and install it manually.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks buddy, I'll give that a try tomorrow after work and see what I can do. Would you by chance know which proprietary driver from ATI would work ?

And might anybody else have a clue about the NIC ? I don't mind if it doesn't really work, but then my next question is:

What is a known NIC which works perfectly under Linux/Ubuntu and has full driver support ?

I'm also wondering, the cd which came with my motherboard, might those drivers work ?

Doug