Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've been trying to install Ubuntu for most of the day, using the official Ubuntu CD. Don't have Windows, so I just want to put the disc in, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitioning problems when installing Ubuntu 8.04

Hi all,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu for most of the day, using the official Ubuntu CD. Don't have Windows, so I just want to put the disc in, and have Ubuntu as my sole OS (no dual-boot etc.). The normal installation always freezes, so I run it in safe graphics mode, and it works fine up until a point.

I get to the step in the installation process that is about partitioning, and as I'm fairly new to this, I initially selected the guided method, and finished the rest of the steps. When it tried to partition, it would get to 5% and then I would get this message:

"Failed to create a file system

The ext3 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0)(sda) failed." (or something about the swap file etc.)

I tried again repeatedly, but always with the same result. Tried to do it manually, and would create a new partition tree (or whatever it's called), create a 20 GB ext3 file system for the /, and also create a 2GB swap one, and leave the rest unfilled, and try to proceed, but I would get the exact same message, also at 5%. I'm getting a bit frustrated, and would be eternally grateful for any advice.

Just Joined!
    Ok first thing I would do is reburn the disk at the slowest speed if that doesn't work report back and we can think of something else.

Just Joined!
    I'm pretty sure it's not the disc as it's one I ordered, so I'm guessing the problem should be elsewhere. One person advised me to use Gparted to create the partitions, so I might try that.

For the partitions, I was thinking one for / that would be 20GB, a 2GB swap and putting the rest as a /home. But for /home and / what file system would you recommend? Ext3?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I would use ext3.

Just Joined!
    GParted did the trick for the partitioning, but at around 66% of the install, this flashed up:

"The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment."

I doubt it's the actual CD, so I guess this tells me where the problem is. My laptop isn't that old (got it in September 2006), but you never know. I'll try installing again later, and if I get the same problem I'll take it into the shop. Thanks a lot for your time!

Just Joined!
    I go back to my original statement saying you have a bad disk.

Just Joined!
    I'll burn a new one at the slowest speed and see how that works. Thanks again.

Just Joined!

Same problem

Im having the same problem, except I have no way of burning a new disc...it was a disc sent from ubuntu direct. now I have a half installed ubuntu pc. Any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curve
    Im having the same problem,
    Did installer slow exactly same error? Boot up from Ubuntu CD and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First