Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone gave me a Logitech QuickCam as a gift, but I can't get Ubuntu to read the installation disc, which is sadly made for Windows. Is there any programs I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

QuickCam

Someone gave me a Logitech QuickCam as a gift, but I can't get Ubuntu to read the installation disc, which is sadly made for Windows. Is there any programs I can download to get it to work? The it is the 8.4.6 QuickCam for Windows (or 8.0.1 for the Mac OS).

I have a quickcam IM at home myself (it's probably older then yours), but ubuntu just picks up the cam straight away. You don't use the install disk at all.

Try to run an app that is used to view webcams. For example if you use Amsn open a chat with someone and select to start a video chat, it should detect your cam and show you the image on screen.

Just Joined!
    My computer does not seem to detect the camera, it does not register in the USB port, and I am using Gaim as my messaging service but that also seems to lack the camera function. Whenever I try and download current versions of AOL, MSN, or Yahoo! I can not seem to get them to install properly. I cannot find .deb files, only taz.bz, which I can not figure out how to make my computer recognize. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First of all, what model is the quickcam?
    Have you tried another usb port?

Alot of quickcams have a little green (usually green at least) light on them to show they are operating. Do you get that at all on yours?

Just Joined!
    my computer is kind of old and only has one USB port. As for the camera, as near as I can tell it has no light, just a button on the top of it that, as of yet, does nothing when I press it. The model is "QuickCam Chat", but the barcode says "QuickCam Chat II" so I would assume the latter of the two. Thanks again, sorry about the tardy reply.

First of all try the following command

Code:
    lsusb
    may need to sudo it.

You should get an out put like

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:0896 Logitech, Inc.

If so then try a web cam capture program. Your looking for a device most likely like /dev/video. I don't know the name of a program off the top of my head as I jsut use amsn with my web cam.

Failing that try:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Spca5xx#Ubuntu%207.10%20(Gutsy),%20and%208.04%20(H ardy)