Find the answer to your Linux question:
After I install Hardy Heron to run as a Windows program, I input my login info and it starts over needing my login info again. I tried installing Hardy Heron ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Login problems

After I install Hardy Heron to run as a Windows program, I input my login info and it starts over needing my login info again. I tried installing Hardy Heron on a partition and it STILL does this. Anyone know what the heck is up?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you have a problem starting GNOME, at the login manager screen do CTRL-ALT-F1, login to the terminal using your username and password. After that run "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" and then run "startx". Post back the error messages printed on the screen if you can't login to GNOME.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Although it didn't work, it did point me in the right direction. I got in and was able to create a new user but now I can't play any media at all. It keeps trying to install codecs but then informs me that it can't. I think I need to go back in under admin and do it. Is that right? What would be the ramifications of me staying in under the admin? I'm new to this but I'm determined to get this thing running. I want to switch completely. I also have a Lexmark printer that Ubuntu recognizes but refuses to use. All help is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean all
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    Look for VLC Player in Menu and try to play any Media.
    In case any of above command throws error, post exact error message here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First