Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I have a small problem. I have a Seagate Baracudda 320GB Sata drive that doesn't seem to want to show up in Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). It is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help. Sata Drive not Showing

Hey everyone,

I have a small problem. I have a Seagate Baracudda 320GB Sata drive that doesn't seem to want to show up in Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). It is formatted with NTSC and before anyone asks, I also have a Samsung IDE 120GB hard drive also formatted in NTSC which does show up and I can access it. So my question is... what can I do to have it show up?

And yes, my Bios sees the drive as well. Now, another thing I tried was change the Sata plugin from Sata1 to Sata2. Showed up for one session and after I reboot and log back in, its no longer showing.

Any help will be appreciated in this matter.
    Thanks in advanced,
    Aylen

oz
    forum.guy
    Try turning on legacy IDE support in your BIOS.

Hope it works.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have a American MegaTrends Bios settings. I don't see anywhere where it mentions Legacy IDE Support.

Thanks again,
    Aylen

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Yep, I've been there

A month ago I had the same problem with a Seagate sata 'Cuda 250GB. My Bios kept telling me it was "not ATAPI Compatible".
    Made me crazy as a loon and I couldn't get answers from either Seagate or the MoBo mfgr.
    The Seagate HDD I got had a sticker on it that said something to the effect that the SATA drive did not need any jumpers to configure it as Master/Slave. Fine, I got that. The sticker then went on to say that the jumper locations on the drive "are for factory use only". Fine, got that, too.
    But I swear I saw a freaking jumper on the drive when I installed it into my new machine. It turned out I was correct.
    The factory had installed a jumper onto the drive which limited the speed to old SATA standards of 1.5MB/s. As soon as I removed the (unnecessary) jumper, the HDD was suddenly capable of 3.0MB/s and the issue was solved. I was ATAPI Compliant and things went as advertised.

Final thoughts: Do NOT support manufacturers who do not support our attempts to get out from under the thumb of monopolies such as M$. The ONLY response I received from my MoBo mfgr was stated in 5 words: "We Do Not Support Linux".
    That manufacturer is ECS Elite Group.
    Last edited by 1fastbullet; 07-17-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo

After posting the previous reply it dawned on me that 2 days ago I received shipment of a second Seagate 'cuda 250GB SATA hard drive, but I still had not yet opened the box. Now I have and, although I do not find the "jumpers not necessary" sticker on this 2nd HDD, there is a jumper installed, just as on the 1st one.
    Also, in very tiny print, beneath the hookup diagram, it illustrates the speed limiting jumper!
    I hope this solves your problem as it did mine