Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have following setup Intel board with intel RAID controller card Xeon Processor 4 GB RAM 8 nos. SATA of 1 TB each Implemented RAID 5 CD ROM NO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Kubuntu installation error

Hi,

I have following setup

Intel board with intel RAID controller card
    Xeon Processor
    4 GB RAM
    8 nos. SATA of 1 TB each
    Implemented RAID 5
    CD ROM
    NO floppy

Now I am trying to install Kubuntu from live CD in the above system but I am getting error i.e. Execution of grub failed. I skipped grub installation and completed the installation successfully without boot loader. When rebooted I got beep sound from system which indicates there's something wrong with the Virtual Disk I created (as per their manual).
    I checked in the RAID configuration and found one disk degraded. I don't know the reason. While booting I got one more error saying foreign configuration written on the disk.....blah blah blah.

Do I need to load RAID controller drivers before installing Kubuntu. If so, how ? How can I solve this problem. My basic idea is to create linux based NAS system with NFS & Samba.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ravin_ps; 07-17-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: errors

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravin_ps View Post
    Hi,

I have following setup

Intel board with intel RAID controller card
    Xeon Processor
    4 GB RAM
    8 nos. SATA of 1 TB each
    Implemented RAID 5
    CD ROM
    NO floppy

Now I am trying to install Kubuntu from live CD in the above system but I am getting error i.e. Execution of grub failed. I skipped grub installation and completed the installation successfully without boot loader. When rebooted I got beep sound from system which indicates there's something wrong with the Virtual Disk I created (as per their manual).
    I checked in the RAID configuration and found one disk degraded. I don't know the reason. While booting I got one more error saying foreign configuration written on the disk.....blah blah blah.

Do I need to load RAID controller drivers before installing Kubuntu. If so, how ? How can I solve this problem. My basic idea is to create linux based NAS system with NFS & Samba.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

Problem solved. Actually the problem was with SATA power cords which is why the disks were going offline intermittantly. Also for grub, I created 100 mb partition for /boot while making partitions in ubuntu and grub installed properly. No need to install RAID controller drivers during installation of ubuntu in my case.