Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know, i know, Linux Mint in the Ubuntu forum?! Mods, please feel free to move this to the other distro forum, but i felt its place was here in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [SOLVED] Linux Mint boot trouble...

I know, i know, Linux Mint in the Ubuntu forum?! Mods, please feel free to move this to the other distro forum, but i felt its place was here in the Ubuntu forum as they are so much alike.

Anyway, Heres my situation. I have 3hdd's.

1x 250GB Vista Home Premium
    1x 160GB XP
    1x 120 GB Linux Mint

so, ive had XP and Vista installed first, then i installed Linux Mint as it can recognise my HDD's Os's and Grub can be set up eaisily...or so i hoped. Ive had to change a few things around in grub even for linux mint to boot up, so far the only thing that works is Vista, and Linux Mint, XP i can't seem to boot to it through the grub menu.

However, i remove the data cables from the other two drives, and i use my XP drive as is, and i get a GRUB error 21 message...

So, what did i do!?

Let me know if any more information is needed. I hope i haven't been confusing.

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Grub doesn't actually boot windows systems but chainloads, basically saying 'go here to find the bootloader'. So you will need entries for xp in the vista bootloader using bcedit (I think) to boot both windows distros. There are lots of sites for windows telling you how to set this up. After that is done, you will need an entry in Grub (and also have Grub installed to mbr) for the partition that has the windows bootloader. If you use vista bootloader and vista is on hda1 you will have an entry like:

title vista/xp
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

well yancek, i seem to have fixed my problem that wouldn't allow me to get into my XP drive standalone...i disconnected all my other drives and ran my XP install cd, used the recovery console and did a fixmbr and a fixboot just incase...rebooted, removed the cd...and boom. got my XP screen back booted into windows. However, i'm still having trouble with grub...

Something i forgot to mention before that i never noticed until now. When installing Mint, It asked me something about what drive i want my grub to be on...and i chose my 160GB for some reason...which is the drive that i am now having trouble with...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    EUREKA! it seems as if i've fixed my issue myself...Either when i had grub install on my 160GB drive or maybe its something that Mint does by itself...in any case, i just had to add

map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)

to my XP section in the grub menu, as Vista had this yet my XP section did not. rebooted, tested all the OS's to see if they came up and im up and running now!

So mods, feel free to delete this thread.