Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gutsy 7.10 installed about 2 weeks ago. Up until a few days ago I had sound working fine. Then suddenly it faded to a whisper and now there is no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Another lost sound issue

Gutsy 7.10 installed about 2 weeks ago.

Up until a few days ago I had sound working fine. Then suddenly it faded to a whisper and now there is no sound at all. I should maybe also mention that at about the same time that the sound problem developed burning audio CDs also developed a problem. Whether the two are related or not is unknown to me, but if related I don't want to leave it out.

I opened Terminal and entered alsamixer, raised all levels that would respond. The attachments are what my alsamixer looks like. For some reason, the first bar (headphones)will not respond. The second bar (PCM) seems to be missing the bottom component.
    On the extreme right side of the page are 3 input sources. The options in each of these are Mic, Front mic, Line and CD.
    Which of the options should be set here to play music from the optical drives or from HDD?

I have run the commands lsmod, lspci and
    su - cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp and have te results of these standing by.
    Additionally, I used the terminal again and entered alsamixer -h and man alsamixer. The manual and "help" file were no help at all. (Is there somewhere else I can find user instructions for alsa?)

Can anyone suggest where the problem is and what will fix it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there anybody out. there?

Hello?
    What happened to the penguins?