Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lol. I know, this sounds really stupid but... I'm using Kubuntu (latest build ) and rather than using the minimize button to dock it in the taskbar, I hit the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't get KTorrent window back onto the desktop (yeah I'm a dope)

Lol. I know, this sounds really stupid but...

I'm using Kubuntu (latest build ) and rather than using the minimize button to dock it in the taskbar, I hit the close button. Of course, it's still running but I can't seem to find a way to bring its focus back. I tried using the "Run Command" feature, but that does nothing. I also tried just opening new torrents, but that just runs in the background as well.

How then do I go about bringing it back to focus, and secondly, I didn't see an option to keep it in the task bar when hitting the close button, like a minimize on close option. Any way to do this ? Thanks.

Doug

Are you missing the tray icon? You should have a little green and red icon that you can click on to bring it back to focus. If that's missing try killing it and relaunching it. You can then recheck the settings to add the tray icon plugin if it's missing
    Code:
    killall ktorrent

Just Joined!
    This is so strange. I killed the app as instructed, but now upon opening a new torrent, the app's window doesn't even appear. It just runs in the backgrounds. And you're correct, I don't have the tray icon, that's for sure. So far, bubkis.

I know how to do this in Gnome, but not KDE.

In Gnome, I'd right click on the panel, click "Add to panel...", and add the "Notification Area". Then anything I minimise (skype, bittorrent, etc.) will appear there. You seem to be missing this, but, as I said, I'm not sure how to add this in KDE.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy View Post
    I know how to do this in Gnome, but not KDE.

In Gnome, I'd right click on the panel, click "Add to panel...", and add the "Notification Area". Then anything I minimise (skype, bittorrent, etc.) will appear there. You seem to be missing this, but, as I said, I'm not sure how to add this in KDE.
    Yeah, the same function/feature is also available by means of adding the "task bar". It's the same as Notification area I believe. But it looks like KTorrent is one of those programs which as opposed to the others, when you click the x, it doesn't put the app in the taskbar. Bigtom mentioned that I was missing a component to do this, but in order to get the thing, I think I need access to the actual window !

Doug

If you don't mind losing your current torrents you can remove the config folder and start over, hopefully removing any current bad setting with it.

Remove ~/.kde/share/apps/ktorrent and ~/.kde/share/apps/ktorrentrc. The tilda represents your home directory and the period/fullstop prefix to kde means it's a hidden directory.

Just Joined!
    I guess I don't mind losing anything, but I can't find those directories. I actually wouldn't be opposed to uninstalling KTorrent, but according to the add/remove package manage, it's not even installed, which is weird.

Ok, so I just deleted those things, and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference. This is almost silly now. I can't find it anywhere, yet it's still running torrents in the background.

Just Joined!
    Well, couldn't find it, period. So I removed it via the package manager.

I like Deluge better anyway.

Doug