Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI, and the only way I can seem to get it to work with X is on debian and ubuntu using dexconf. I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dexconf xorg.conf

I have an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI, and the only way I can seem to get it to work with X is on debian and ubuntu using dexconf. I want to switch to gentoo, but no matter what I try I can't get X to work, I've tried using ati driver but that always ends up in my screen saying "cannot display resolution", It is a dell LCD. I want to know what driver / options dexconf has selected, but in my xorg.conf it is simply

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Does anyone know either how I can find what driver and options dexconf is using, or how to get this card to work under gentoo?

What does your xorg.conf look like in Gentoo? Can you post it here?

X generally doesn't need configuration details if your monitor supports EDID. Almost all LCDs have this feature so it might just be a case of removing information rather than adding it. The fact that your xorg.conf above is empty suggests this might be the case, as anything dexconf would have done would be in that file.

Just Joined!
    When i set gentoo up I usually use Xorg -configure, and when that didn't work I looked online. I've also tried the dexconf file in gentoo to no avail, but this time I tried
    Xorg -configure in ubuntu, then I copied the file over, and it worked! don't know what was up with gentoo's xorg but It worked when I did it from ubuntu

I've attached the working file
    Attached Files Attached Files

From the looks of it the only information worth having there is the Horizsync and Vertrefresh. Glad you got it working