Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Here's a HowTo you can follow to make sure that you are properly downloading the ISO file, burning it to disk as an image, and then booting from the newly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Here's a HowTo you can follow to make sure that you are properly downloading the ISO file, burning it to disk as an image, and then booting from the newly created disk:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Hope it helps.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thats just rediculous, even at 1x it didnt work?...whats your specs?....

ive got:
    intel 2.4ghz dual core
    4gb ddr2-800 ram
    320gb sata hdd
    ATI radeon x1950xtx
    Lite-On DVD burner

I dunno why it wont work for me....

Just Joined!
    Here is a summary of my problem, which is still whole. Nobody knows what to do. I send this in hope that perhaps XSHADOWZX who just came on can help.

ASUS mb A8V MX with AMD Athlon 64 processor
    Ram: 2.00GB
    I have VISTA on one disk, which I want to use for dual boot with Ubuntu.
    I have another disk (298GB-Maxtor ATA...small red cable...) which was empty.

1st several tries: I tried installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 but did not get anything except the BusyBox and various error message. The most common in my various tries was: "usb 1-1: device not accepting address2, error -71"

I don't know what USB has to do with anything in that installation???
    I was using a Canonical CD, but some said it could be bad, so I burned several at different speeds up to 1X. None worked.

Some suggested for safety to disconnect my Vista drive and leave only the drive for linux connected, which is what I did for most of those trials and also for the next ones.

Finally I tried the Alternate version. THis installation went up to the point where it tried to detect Hard disk and it did not find any: it asked for a driver for my drive ?????

THen I tried installing version 7.10: it went like a charm. I installed all the 227 updates, everything was fine. I then dared to upgrade to 8.04: the installation seemed to have worked perfectly, up to the point where I had to reboot.

Guess what... I am back to BusyBox with the USB message, and I cannot get any further.

SHould I give up on 8.04, and be satisfied with 7.10? (THat means I will have to accept to use 7.10 forever.)

If only someone could tell me how to fix this USB thing...

Just Joined!
    I will no longer post here, except to say that I now know the problem and it cannot be solved on my end.
    The problem is that my Bios read my Sata drives as IDE, and to change that I have to change the BIos, and to change the Bios I need a floppy drive, etc.
    Goodbye Linux. I'm stuck with Vista.

Many Asus boards don't require a floppy drive for updates, they can read in directly from CD or USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilch View Post
    I will no longer post here, except to say that I now know the problem and it cannot be solved on my end.
    The problem is that my Bios read my Sata drives as IDE, and to change that I have to change the BIos, and to change the Bios I need a floppy drive, etc.
    Goodbye Linux. I'm stuck with Vista.
    You most certainly do NOT need a floppy to change your BIOS settings. I have an ASUS K8V motherboard and I've used at least a dozen other brands throughout the years. I've never seen one that required a floppy to change BIOS settings. All you need to do is hit DELETE or F8 at boot time to bring yourself into the BIOS settings screen.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3