Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    forum.guy

Here's a HowTo you can follow to make sure that you are properly downloading the ISO file, burning it to disk as an image, and then booting from the newly created disk:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Hope it helps.
    oz

thats just rediculous, even at 1x it didnt work?...whats your specs?....

ive got:
    intel 2.4ghz dual core
    4gb ddr2-800 ram
    320gb sata hdd
    ATI radeon x1950xtx
    Lite-On DVD burner

I dunno why it wont work for me....

Just Joined!
    Here is a summary of my problem, which is still whole. Nobody knows what to do. I send this in hope that perhaps XSHADOWZX who just came on can help.

ASUS mb A8V MX with AMD Athlon 64 processor
    Ram: 2.00GB
    I have VISTA on one disk, which I want to use for dual boot with Ubuntu.
    I have another disk (298GB-Maxtor ATA...small red cable...) which was empty.

1st several tries: I tried installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 but did not get anything except the BusyBox and various error message. The most common in my various tries was: "usb 1-1: device not accepting address2, error -71"

I don't know what USB has to do with anything in that installation???
    I was using a Canonical CD, but some said it could be bad, so I burned several at different speeds up to 1X. None worked.

Some suggested for safety to disconnect my Vista drive and leave only the drive for linux connected, which is what I did for most of those trials and also for the next ones.

Finally I tried the Alternate version. THis installation went up to the point where it tried to detect Hard disk and it did not find any: it asked for a driver for my drive ?????

THen I tried installing version 7.10: it went like a charm. I installed all the 227 updates, everything was fine. I then dared to upgrade to 8.04: the installation seemed to have worked perfectly, up to the point where I had to reboot.

Guess what... I am back to BusyBox with the USB message, and I cannot get any further.

SHould I give up on 8.04, and be satisfied with 7.10? (THat means I will have to accept to use 7.10 forever.)

If only someone could tell me how to fix this USB thing...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I will no longer post here, except to say that I now know the problem and it cannot be solved on my end.
    The problem is that my Bios read my Sata drives as IDE, and to change that I have to change the BIos, and to change the Bios I need a floppy drive, etc.
    Goodbye Linux. I'm stuck with Vista.

Many Asus boards don't require a floppy drive for updates, they can read in directly from CD or USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilch View Post
    I will no longer post here, except to say that I now know the problem and it cannot be solved on my end.
    The problem is that my Bios read my Sata drives as IDE, and to change that I have to change the BIos, and to change the Bios I need a floppy drive, etc.
    Goodbye Linux. I'm stuck with Vista.
    You most certainly do NOT need a floppy to change your BIOS settings. I have an ASUS K8V motherboard and I've used at least a dozen other brands throughout the years. I've never seen one that required a floppy to change BIOS settings. All you need to do is hit DELETE or F8 at boot time to bring yourself into the BIOS settings screen.
    Registered Linux user #270181